Facilitating Work Life for Individuals with Disability
Deloitte Malta Gi3 Alert
13 October 2021
Malta Enterprise have launched a new scheme entitled, Facilitating Work Life for Individuals with Disability (the ‘Scheme’), intended to support employers and self-employed individuals in covering the costs of adapting or making the workplace more accessible to employees with disabilities. The Scheme will remain open until 31 December 2023.
The Scheme offers a cash grant which will cover 90% of incurred eligible costs up to a maximum of €10,000 per project, subject to an overall capping for a single undertaking of €200,000 over a rolling period of three consecutive years in terms of the EU de minimis regulation.
The Scheme is open to:
- Employers and self-employed who carry out an economic activity;
- The employer must already employ at least one worker, or is in the process of recruiting persons with disability who are in possession of an EU Disability Card issued by the Commission for the Rights of Persons with Disability (CRPD);
- Employers are to ensure that all employees are duly registered with JobsPlus;
- Applicants must not have any arrears related to VAT, Income Tax, and Social Security;
- Applicants must not be engaged in activities specifically excluded under the de minimis Regulation.
- Equipment used to increase or improve functional capabilities of employees with disabilities;
- Re-modelling, modifications and/or internal minor structural changes for better access to guarantee an optimum level of functionality to accommodate people with different abilities;
- Investment in assistive technologies, such as screen reader technologies;
- Installation of different floor material for wheelchair users or visually impaired persons to navigate easily;
- Accessible formats such as Braille, large prints and audio recording for safety access and use of the place of work;
- Professional training provided to either the individual having a disability or to other employees of the applicant entity, with the specific purpose of facilitating the inclusion of the person/s with disability.
Investments costs which are considered to be a legal obligation of the employer shall not be considered as eligible. Applications are to be submitted prior to incurring any costs. Applications may be submitted online until 31 August 2023.
How can we help?
Deloitte Malta is able to assist in answering your queries, so please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any further guidance you may require.
In addition, Deloitte Malta is able to assist with the preparation of the required applications and any supporting documentation, as well as document submission and any required follow-ups.