''How to make Data insightful? Make it visual!''
The size and complexity of data are growing fast, together with the possibilities to analyze data and translate it into insights. At the same time many companies are struggling to present these insights effectively so that they can be used for decision making. With this course you will learn about the basic principles to effectively design data visualizations.
November 22, 2018 | March 14, 2019
The point of data visualization is to make large amounts of data understandable and easy to comprehend. A good data visualization will allow its users to view both simple and complex datasets at a glance and see abnormalities, dependencies and trends that would not have been apparent in tables.
Overlooking important pieces of data could have severe consequences for a business, but a visualization of the data uses the strengths of our evolutionarily trained pattern detection machine, the brain, to quickly hone into those data points that need the most attention.
During the data visualization course you will learn how the human brain can be influenced when processes information. You will also get practical tools for designing effective and user-friendly visualizations and reports or dashboards, and you will spend some time applying these tools on example cases.
In this basic Data visualization course you will learn about:
- How the brain gets influenced by visual design, explained by examples that illustrate how it translates what we look at into what we actually see
- The basic design principles for data visualization to allow you to pick the right chart for the right purpose and format your charts in the best possible way
- Know what choices there are in creating data visualization and how to make the right choices
- How the message behind your data visualizations can be affected by the design decisions
- What you need to take into account when designing reports and dashboards using Deloitte’s 10 commandments for effective dashboard and report design
The course is partly theoretical and party practical, allowing you to put the theory immediately into practice and experience how design decisions influence the messages your data visualizations bring across.
The course will be given in English or Dutch, depending on the participants preferred language. The course material is in English.
Our facilitators have practical business experience and are well trained in their field of expertise.
We encourage you to bring your own case, so we can put what you have learned into practice using some real cases from participants.
The course was rated an 8.3 by the participants on average.
"Training can be practically and directly put into practice"
"It was an educational day, mainly because of the discussion with the facilitators but also by other students from other companies"
Date and location
November 22, 2018
Dutch or English version
March 14, 2019
Duth or English version
09.00 AM - 17.00 PM.
You are welcome from 08.30 AM.
Anyone who communicates insights from data in their job (in reports/dashboards/infographics/web applications/powerpoint presentations/etc.)
- Employees of Business Intelligence or Analytics departments
- Employees of Finance departments, responsible for financial reporting
- Business- or Finance controllers
- Management consultants
- Risk managers
- Spokespersons to the Board
- Press officers
Basic course outline
- Introduction into data visualization
- Psychology of seeing
How does the brain interpret the things we look at?
- Data visualization principles pt 1 (form)
What choices are there when selecting different types of data visualizations (charts and tables) and how do these choices affect the messages your visualization communicate?
- Data visualization principles pt 2 (format)
What choices are there in formatting your data visualizations? How do you make sure the right elements in your visualization draw attention, and how do you avoid less important elements to distract?
- Report or dashboard design
What should be considered when designing a report or dashboard to make it readable and user-friendly?
Put the theory and practical tips and tricks into practice. We will make a selection from the provided cases by participants to discuss during the training.
- Next steps
- Wrap up & Q&A
The costs are € 695 ex VAT. Catering (lunch) and digital course materials are included in the price.
Until four weeks before the start of the course you may cancel your participation in writing free of charge, or you may propose to attend on another date. Should you cancel within four weeks before the start of the course you will have to pay the full registration fee. In the event of insufficient participants we reserve the right to cancel the course at any time or move the date of the event. If so, you will be informed in due time.