About Best Managed Companies
What is Norway's Best Managed Companies programme?
“Norway's Best Managed Companies” is a programme to recognise the overall success of strong private Norwegian companies based on strategic direction, ability to execute, corporate culture and financial performance.
Best Managed Companies was established in Canada in 1993 and has since then become the country’s leading business awards programme. In addition to Canada, the programme has been introduced in Ireland, the Netherlands, Chile and Mexico while many other key markets have plans to join in the near future.
The Best Managed program is currently operating in 13 countries with planned expansion to more than 20 by 2020, most recently launching in China, Germany, the Nordics and Australia. Upcoming, near-term launches include the US, Scotland, Norway, Czech Republic and the Caribbean with the Southeast Asia, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, France, Spain and South Africa expected to follow.
Although a competition, an integral part of the programme is coaching. Professionals from Deloitte will facilitate the application process to shine light on current best practices and areas for improvement. The end result will be a detailed self-analysis of your business focused on strategic and operational issues.
The Best Managed Company title can be awarded for several consecutive years to the same company and the awarded companies will become part of a strong community of the best.
What makes Norway's Best Managed Companies programme unique?
- Focuses on private Norwegian companies
- Recognises overall business performance and sustained growth
- Recognises the efforts of the entire organisation
- Measures more than financial performance
- Gives insights into best practices, which are shared during the application process
- Becomes part of a global community of Best Managed Companies
Who can apply?
- Turnover in excess of NOK 250 million
- Established for at least 5 years
- Over 50 full-time employees
- Majority stake (> 50%) owned by Norwegian resident persons or entities
- Privately owned Norwegian company
- Norwegian portfolio company controlled by private equity firms or a listed company if managed autonomously
- HQ or major decision center in Norway (operations can be abroad)
- Fully compliant from legal, tax and ethical perspective
- Managing finances effectively, adapting to changing market conditions, over the past three financial years
The following organisations are ineligible:
Credit institutions, banks, insurance companies, co-ops, listed companies, Norwegian subsidiaries of foreign multinationals, government-owned entities/public sector agencies, charities and not-for-profit organisations and their affiliates and subsidiaries