Using data to improve the art of relationships
Designed for use in a business context, Business Chemistry® draws upon analytics technologies to reveal four unique patterns of behaviour. The system provides insights about individuals and teams based on observable traits and preferences, with the goal of developing openness and collaboration to drive individual and team performance.
Why Business Chemistry?
Relationships in the workplace are critical for efficiency, productivity, and long-term success, but what happens when these relationships are failing to reach their potential? In today’s constantly changing business environment and with increasingly diverse workforces, high quality relationships can be difficult to achieve. Business Chemistry offers easily-digestible insights which can be applied to real-life situations, to improve the quality of team effectiveness through better understanding and collaboration and achieve company objectives.
Business Chemistry insights provide valuable teaming support throughout the business life-cycle, during key events such as new business unit formation, merging of operations and teams, and changes in leadership, or as part of a team building day to help collaborate more effectively across group function silos.
Business Chemistry provides:
- a practical and actionable tool with a common language to explore behavioural styles in the workplace
- unique insight into a team’s composition and characteristics
- a greater understanding of self and others for collaborative and efficient teaming
- a guide for benchmarking individuals against a global business community
- more meaningful relationships and honest conversations between team members and stakeholders
- greater trust between team members and departments to help achieve common goals
Built on science—Business Chemistry® reveals patterns of behavior to improve workplace dynamics
Deloitte teamed with scientists from the fields of neuro-anthropology and genetics to develop a system that leverages modern computational techniques to bring a data-driven approach to observing and understanding differences in people’s business styles. The resulting system is easy to remember, but with a sophisticated underpinning that highlights statistically relevant behavioral cues in a business environment.
- Business Chemistry is rooted in science, and designed for business. Leveraging powerful, patent-pending computational techniques, Business Chemistry is a data-driven approach to understanding people—both in terms of what they are as well as what they are not. The system is focused on traits that are core to business behavior, such as risk-taking and communication styles, and founded on characteristics with biological linkages which provide better stability over time.
- Business Chemistry is focused on interaction, not introspection. A system that steps beyond helping you understand yourself, Business Chemistry is designed primarily to help you recognize preferences and styles of others—without having them take a test—by measuring observable, business-relevant traits. The focus is on improving the effectiveness of your interactions with other types of individuals, as well as combinations of types in team environments.
- Simple application and a sophisticated system. The system draws on complex algorithms to assess behavior and preferences, but then translates those results into easy-to-learn patterns that are simple to remember and apply. Utilizing clues from your everyday interactions, Business Chemistry allows for a “thin slicing” approach to personality data—focusing in on the things that really matter—for quicker identification and connection with others.
- Personalized Individual and team insights. Business Chemistry sheds light on team dynamics by highlighting the unique aspects of each individual while also considering the composition of the group as a whole. Analysis of team composition provides perspective on relative strengths and areas of misalignment to understand how to best utilize each individual’s natural tendencies, while leveraging the overall group makeup to achieve goals.
The Four Types
Deloitte developed the Business Chemistry® to help provide insights about individuals and teams based on observable traits and preferences. Business Chemistry reveals four scientifically based patterns of behaviour. The four primary Business Chemistry types are:
The value of Business Chemistry is in using it to harness the diversity of styles within a team that bring unique strengths, perspectives, and distinct approaches to generating ideas, solving problems and making decisions. Business Chemistry provides essential tools to harness the diversity of different working styles within teams to increase collaboration, effectiveness, and accomplish shared goals.
In the press
Harvard Business Review - Pioneers, Drivers, Integrators, and Guardians
Drawing upon extensive research and thousands of interactions with executives in the Deloitte Greenhouse, Kim Christfort and Suzanne Vickberg, show you how to create the kind of chemistry that fuels success by engaging with others on their own terms. They explore how to simultaneously meet the needs of distinct working styles in order to harness the power of diverse perspectives. And they share learnings from leaders and their teams across industries and all over the world who have put Business Chemistry to work for themselves. Now you can do the same.
A refreshing departure from the typical business read, Business Chemistry is full of colourful descriptions, evocative stories, intriguing data, and practical strategies. It offers concrete guidance on bringing out the best in people with varied strengths who excel in different contexts.
Whether your goal is to raise your own level of performance, enhance customer engagement, or become a more effective leader, this resource provides what you need to build empathy and stronger relationships, manage and motivate different types of people, and activate the power of diversity in order to lead teams to success.
Business Chemistry history
Deloitte teamed with scientists from the fields of neuro-anthropology and genetics to develop a system that leverages modern computational techniques to bring a data-driven approach to observing and understanding differences in people’s business styles. The resulting system is easy to remember, but with a sophisticated underpinning that highlights statistically relevant behavioural cues in a business environment.
Business Chemistry Blog
Read our blog to find out how the Business Chemistry types respond differently to stress in the workplace, which unique traits set CxOs apart from the typical professional, and why Guardians are so risk averse.