Industry spotlight: Retail Time to rethink retail
Global Mobile Consumer Survey 2019 – The Nordic Cut
Industry spotlight: Retail
Time to rethink retail
The retail industry is in transition due to tension in the global economy and a wave of emerging technologies.
In a market of constant disruption, a focus on ecommerce and mobile solutions is essential in order for retail businesses to thrive. The Nordic ecommerce market has reached a value of 46 billion euro in 2019. Concurrently, the use of mobile phones for shopping is growing, now representing a little more than a third of Nordic ecommerce spending.
The Global Mobile Consumer Survey 2019 data confirm the rise of the mobile phone as an important part of shopping, both as a means of purchasing and as a tool for navigating and researching the retail universe.
Five highlights from the retail industry:
- Although the computer is still the preferred device for searching and browsing, the preference for mobile devices for 18-44-year-olds is growing so fast that smartphones will likely be the number one device for searching in 2020, and the top choice for browsing by 2023 or so.
- Across all age groups, one out of four prefers the mobile phone for making online purchases, up from one out of 10 in 2017.
- 57 per cent have used their mobile phone to purchase a product online, while 45 per cent have purchased a service.
- 58 per cent of the respondents have used their phone for making an in-store purchase, up from 45 per cent in 2018.
- 74 per cent have used their mobile phone to read reviews about a product or service.
Curious to learn more about this topic? Download the full report and get our expert’s take
Deloitte is using information about your use of our digital channels (homepage, newsletters, sign-up forms etc.) and event participation to get insights in which of our services that may be of your interest.
You may at any time withdraw the consent you gave us by either opting out of our newsletter via the links you find at the bottom of the emails we send, or by contacting us via our contact form.