The Climate Leaders Coalition
On a mission to reduce emissions in New Zealand
The Climate Leaders Coalition marks its first anniversary on July 24, 2019.
Deloitte joined the inaugural group of 60 signatories which launched in July 2018 to create a movement of business action on climate change. Today, coalition members represent 60% of New Zealand’s gross emissions, employ more than 170,000 people, and represents nearly one third of private sector GDP.
A big part of the Coalition’s work in its first year has been about demonstrating leadership to help businesses make faster progress on reducing their emissions.
Watch the video below to find out how, together with our suppliers, we are making an impact that matters.
Making an impact with our suppliers
Our updated pledge for 2019 is:
As signatories to the Climate Leaders Coalition, we are acting on climate change now, to create a future that is low-emissions, positive for our businesses and the economy, and inclusive for all New Zealanders.
We are committed to the Paris Agreement target to keep warming below 2 degrees and to further pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5 degrees.
By being a signatory to the Coalition, our organisations are actively:
- Measuring our greenhouse gas footprint, having the data independently verified by a third party and making the information publicly available;
- Adopting targets grounded in science that will deliver substantial emissions reductions so our organisations contribute to New Zealand being carbon neutral by 2050. These targets will be considered in current planning cycles;
- Assessing our climate change risks and publicly disclosing them;
- Proactively supporting our people to reduce their emissions, and
- Proactively supporting our suppliers to reduce their emissions.
Deloitte has set global emissions targets that are aligned with these commitments. We will be announcing these targets and our progress toward meeting them later this year in our next sustainability report.