Global Benchmarking Center
Seeing through walls
Among businesses in the same market space, are the most financially successful performers investing heavily on certain functions? Are some businesses vulnerable to attack because they aren’t investing enough in a game-changing process? Where are the cost gaps that represent opportunities to improve efficiency? Without industry-specific performance metrics, your company is flying blind.
Benchmarking can help you better understand how efficiently different parts of your business are operating by comparing your process performance to those of your direct peers.
Benchmarking can help a company in its efforts to understand what its competitors are doing, and how its own performance and investments measure up. And it doesn’t require industrial espionage. Consider the analogy of a physical exam: Thanks to a broad pool of data, a doctor can tell if one patient’s blood pressure is higher or lower than “normal” without violating the confidentiality of other patients. They can define that norm not only in global terms, but for a specific age, gender, and other attributes.
With blinded, aggregated data from more than 600 organizations in a variety of fields, the Deloitte Global Benchmarking Center (GBC) can help executives compare their business performance against industry-median and lowest-cost performers. Metrics such as cost and staffing can be compared with a defined set of industry peers to help identify cost gaps that don’t just highlight opportunities–they quantify them. In addition, the GBC approach uses highly structured, industry-codified process taxonomies. No matter how you or your competitors name or categorize a process, our analysis will provide an “apples-to-apples” comparison.
How we can help
Benchmarking can help you better understand how efficiently different parts of your business are operating by comparing your process performance to those of your direct peers. Deloitte’s GBC provides customized benchmarking studies that are:
- Relevant: Each peer set is aligned by industry, such as technology, consumer products or retail so the resulting analysis is directly relevant to your business.
- Process-based: We collect end-to-end process data (including costs, headcount, cycle time and transaction volumes) regardless of where the work is performed within the organization.
- Timely: All of our data is up-to-date, and we encourage annual participation in our studies so companies can compare their performance year after year.
- Efficient: Most of our studies have roughly 50 questions, and our online system lets organizations collect their data with minimal effort, usually in less than a week. Yet the resulting customized report details individual performance comparisons and specific areas of opportunity.
- Proprietary: The data that the GBC has collected is available from no other source.
Effective benchmarking can help an organization in its efforts to:
- Identify opportunities to reduce service costs and increase service quality
- Gain insight into relative strengths and weaknesses compared to other organizations in the same industry
- Combat organizational complacency and the perception that current performance is acceptable
- Change the way they view their performance by providing both qualitative and quantitative measures of service operations effectiveness
- Support business imperatives