Global Indirect Tax News
Monthly newsletter covering VAT, goods and services tax, sales tax issues, and customs and trade issues around the globe.
- Canada: A carbon levy has been introduced in Alberta.
- India: There is an update on recent GST Council meetings and the parliamentary session.
- India: Key features of the approved legislation include:
- Supply and levy
- Input tax credit.
- India: There have been changes with respect to the taxation of ocean freight on the import of goods.
- Indonesia: Implementing guidelines have been issued on the release of imported goods for use.
- Malaysia: The GST Technical Committee, convened its last meeting on 29 September 2016 to deal with several technical issues where clarification was needed. Based on a review of the minutes, a number of issues remain unclear and need to be addressed by the RMCD.
- Malaysia: The scope of zero-rating has been expanded to cover more drugs and medicines.
- Malaysia: A number of Customs and Excise Duties Orders have been replaced.
- France: A decree has been issued regarding the digitalization of invoices.
- France: The Administrative Supreme Court has ruled on the extended statute of limitations for 'hidden activity'.
- France: A circular has been issued on interest for late payment of certain customs taxes.
- Hungary: VAT changes are proposed regarding the application of the reduced VAT rate, the reporting threshold for the domestic sale and purchase listing, and real time data reporting.
- Hungary: The advertisement tax has been amended.
- Iceland: A Bill proposes amendments to the VAT and customs legislation regarding the exemption from VAT and customs duty under international and bilateral agreements.
- Italy: The online software for the preparation of the 'quarterly communication of the VAT calculation' is now available.
- Italy: There is an update on the rules regarding the new VAT warehouse regime.
- Italy: Guidance has been issued on the calculation of import duty and import VAT for imports of certain finished products.
- Latvia: There have been changes to the process for new EDS users for a VAT payer.
- Luxembourg: The CJEU has ruled on the application of the cost sharing exemption.
- Malta: The payment of VAT refunds by cheque is being phased out.
- Malta: There have been amendments to the excise duty and eco-contribution amendment regulations.
- The Netherlands: Proposed changes to the VAT adjustment rules for 'expensive services' have been announced.
- The Netherlands: The Supreme Court has delivered its final ruling in cases regarding the VAT treatment of company cars.
- Portugal: There has been clarification regarding the VAT regime applicable to the professional practice of non-conventional medicine.
- Portugal: A ruling has been issued regarding the VAT treatment of services performed by students of a veterinary teaching hospital belonging to a university.
- Portugal: Rulings have been issued regarding the VAT rate applicable to popcorn and hot dogs at cinema bars/ticket offices.
- Russia: The Ministry of Finance has clarified the VAT treatment of access to online hotel booking systems from foreign companies.
- Russia: A draft law has been submitted to the State Duma to VAT exempt the leasing of medical devices.
- Russia: The Ministry of Finance has clarified the procedure for accounting for VAT on commission fees related to the issue of monetary loans.
- Russia: The Ministry of Finance has clarified the VAT treatment of the assignment of claim under bills of credit.
- Russia: The Ministry of Finance has clarified the procedure for VAT restoration with respect to goods, work, services used in non-VATable operations.
- Russia: There have been amendments to the list of technological equipment the import of which into the territory of the Russian Federation is not subject to VAT.
- South Africa: There is an update on the proposed 'tax on sweet beverages'.
- South Africa: Customs Preferred Trader status has been awarded to 28 traders.
- Sweden: There will be a new excise duty on chemicals in certain electronic products on 1 July 2017.
- United Kingdom: The CJEU has issued a judgment on VAT exemption for a College's training restaurant.
- United Kingdom: The tax authorities have issued revised guidance on VAT recovery by holding companies.
- United Kingdom: Draft legislation was issued on use and enjoyment of telecoms services.
- Eurasian Economic Union: All EEU member states have signed the new Customs Code of the EEU.
- Eurasian Economic Union: There have been amendments to the list of goods that may be placed under the special customs procedure.
- Eurasian Economic Union: A zero import customs duty rate has been introduced for spirits used in the tanning and shoe industry.
- Eurasian Economic Union: The development of the technical regulation on the safety of poultry meat and production of its processing is in its final stages.