The Swedish Tax Agency ceases to send tax refunds and other payments automatically through postal cheques

Tax News

Publicerad 2017-11-21

The Swedish Tax Agency is changing the routine of refunding overpayments of taxes and other payments made to taxpayers’ individual tax accounts. From November 22nd 2017, the Swedish Tax Agency will cease to automatically send postal cheques to taxpayers/registered tax addresses when disbursing refunds from the tax accounts. However, estates will continue to receive refunds through automatically sent postal cheques. One-time refunds through postal cheques will also still be sent upon request.

The reason for the change is to take measures to increase security; postal cheques are not considered safe as they might be sent to the wrong recipient, which may delay the overpayment to be made. Furthermore, by not automatically sending postal cheques, unnecessary withdrawal fees may be avoided. 

Refunds will now be made to registered bank accounts. In order to receive an automatic refund from the Swedish Tax Agency,  a personal bank account must be registered. Should the taxpayer not have a Swedish bank account, a refund can be made upon request to a foreign bank account.

A bank account registration can be made in several ways. One way to register is by logging into the website of the Swedish Tax Agency with an electronic bank-ID (an individual must have a Swedish bank account and a Swedish personal number). Taxpayers can also register a bank account via or by filling out a form (SKV 4802) and sending it to Bankgirot. There is also a possibility to register a foreign bank account through manual registration by letter. If so, the following information should be included:

  • The taxpayer’s name and Swedish personal ID number or coordination number
  • The name and address of the bank
  • IBAN-number (if any) or bank code/bank account number
  • BIC-/Swift code
  • A certificate from the bank confirming the bank account belongs to the applicant. The certificate must be original, stamped and signed by the bank, and not older than six months.
  • A claim that the taxpayer would like the overpayment to be transferred to the foreign bank account.

This exercise needs to be done every time an overpayment occurs on the taxpayer’s tax account and the certificate is older than six months. 

Deloitte´s comments

Deloitte’s recommendation is that both Swedish and foreign companies should review their internal procedures and inform their employees to register their bank accounts with the Swedish Tax Agency.

Deloitte may assist with registration of taxpayer’s bank accounts with the Swedish Tax Agency and refund requests.

Hade du nytta av den här informationen?