The dual roles of the CIO in the digital age
The rapid adoption of digital technologies is putting new pressures on IT organizations. As spending on cloud, mobile, analytics, and social technology soars, CIOs have the opportunity to help drive strategy, innovation, and revenue growth. At the same time, these technologies present major new challenges in the traditional domain of IT: building and integrating information systems while cost-effectively operating a reliable and secure infrastructure. Today’s CIO must play a dual role: builder of technology and builder of the business.
- The cloud services market is expanding 5 times faster than traditional IT spending
- Enterprises spent over $30 billion globally on big data technology and services in 2013
- Leading CIOs describe their roles in terms such as “imagination,” “chief innovation officer,” and “revenue-generator CIO”
- Seventy percent of CIOs envision becoming CEO one day
- Half of CIOs feel unable to cope with the pace of change brought by digital Technologies