Standing out at a leadership conference
Don’t have much time to learn what to do? We’ve got considerations for you with a quick Top Five list of what to do to stand out at a leadership conference.
According to Deloitte Talent Scout Ellen Louder, Deloitte Services LP, here are some thoughts to help you break out from a crowd of candidates looking to start their career at Deloitte.
5. Read the invitation to the conference so you know how to dress appropriately. A good rule of thumb is you can never go wrong with business casual, unless of course the entire conference is held at a dude ranch where you’ll expected to dress the part of cattle herder!
4. Participate in all conference activities. Some of the informal evening activities are the optimal place to forge long-lasting relationships with your peers. And don’t forget to speak up and ask questions, share your perspective and demonstrate confidence in your point-of-view. Conferences are a terrific way to demonstrate leadership and relationship capabilities.
3. Don’t miss a meal. Much like the informal evening activities, you never know who you might be seated with and how a simple interaction with a Deloitte professional or recruiter could be a defining moment for you. It’s important to keep your energy up and some of the longest lasting relationships have come from grabbing a quick bite to eat with those attending the same conference.
2. Be punctual. Know how long it takes to get from one point of the conference venue to the next. There’s nothing like underestimating the time it takes to walk from one area to the next. No one likes being the last participant walking into a session.
1. Get out of your comfort zone. Conferences are a great way to expand your network and meet new people – other students, as well as professionals. Challenge yourself to do so even if you are attending the conference with individuals you already know. Conferences are ripe for asking questions of those around you, finding out what it’s like to work at Deloitte and if the culture might be a good fit for you. Time spent getting insight into Deloitte and its culture can be priceless.