Episode #27: Is technology our planet’s best hope? has been saved
Episode #27: Is technology our planet’s best hope?
The Green Room by Deloitte podcast
It’s hard to think of a part of our lives that isn’t impacted by technology. It’s made our world more connected. Our work easier to do. Limitless choice at our fingertips.
But it’s also contributed to a society that consumes more resources than ever before. We replace instead of repair. We upgrade instead of keep. We follow trends rather than embrace the timeless.
We’ve taken for granted the natural systems we rely on to make it all happen. The impact we’re making on the planet is now happening at a faster rate than it can replenish itself. And we can’t afford to ignore it any longer.
Some days, the scale of the problem seems insurmountable and we’d rather just turn the telly off. But know this: it’s not too late. Each and every one of us can make a difference. So where do we start?
We’ve got a lot to achieve over the next decade. Luckily, acting fast is one thing we know we can do when we put our minds to it. In fact, could the very technology that’s shaped our world today now help us to save it?
Every day we see new and exciting examples of how we can use technology to repair our planet. Social media is raising awareness of key environmental issues. Smart technology can reduce our energy consumption. We’re even looking into using the cloud to predict deforestation and save the rainforest.
Are these technologies enough to make a real difference? Or are they just a piece of the puzzle? What changes do we all need to make to create a healthier planet? And how can we empower others to embrace change too?
How do we stay positive and focus on the future while our planet feels like it’s falling apart? How can we inspire action through hope instead of despair? Is it time to finally change the narrative?
To help answer, we’re joined by Colin Butfield, Executive Director, Our Planet – WWF, and Siobhan Gardiner, Deloitte Ventures’ Climate Studio Lead.
Solving this problem is perhaps as much a communications challenge as it is a scientific or technological one – Colin Butfield
If you’re interested in any of the topics we talked about during this episode, you might find the links below useful.
- WorldClimate – Find out more about our commitment to drive responsible climate choices within our organisation and beyond, including our goal to achieve net-zero emissions by 2030.
- Our Planet – you can watch the Our Planet series and feature documentary on Netflix, produced with the WWF.
- The Earthshot Prize - Deloitte is the Implementation Partner for the Earthshot Prize, which aims to find innovative solutions to help repair our planets over the next ten years.
- Stories without borders - read more about the work we’re doing on sustainability across North South Europe.
- Making the UK a digital clean tech leader - a joint report with techUK looking at how we can back the UK’s emerging digital climate tech sector.
- World Economic Forum - here’s a great article on how tech could help us save the planet.
- BBC Click National Geographic - an optimistic look at our future and why we’ll succeed in saving the planet.