Life at Deloitte
Armed Forces Covenant
In November 2013, Deloitte were one of the first 50 companies to sign up to the Armed Forces Covenant and Chris Recchia, sponsoring Partner of DMTTP attended the launch reception hosted by the Prime Minister at No 10 Downing Street.
The covenant highlights the moral obligation owed to the Armed Forces by the Government, and the nation. Since June 2013, businesses have been able to sign the covenant to show how they will support the military community. The fact that we had already launched our military programme meant that being early supporters was a natural step.
Chris says "I am very proud that Deloitte have been an early supporter of the Armed Forces Covenant. Our Military Transition and Talent Programme shows our genuine commitment to members of the Armed Forces past and present, and it felt great to be in a room at No 10 doing the right thing shoulder to shoulder with many of our clients".
Demonstrating Our Commitment
By signing the covenant, Deloitte recognises the value serving personnel, reservists, veterans and military families bring to our business and as a sign of our support and commitment have established the Deloitte Military Transition and Talent Programme (DMTTP). We will seek to uphold the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant, by:
- promoting the fact that we are an armed forces-friendly organisation;
- using the DMTTP and our internal Military network group to support transition coaching and mentoring for military leavers;
- aiming to support the employment of veterans through Insight days, one to one advice and work placements
- endeavouring to offer a degree of flexibility in granting leave for Service spouses and partners before, during and after a partner’s deployment, including compassionate leave as necessary;
- seeking to support our employees who choose to be members of the Reserve forces, by accommodating their training and deployment where possible;
- encouraging support of military charities with fundraising, advice and support;
- leveraging support of ex -military personnel by using their consultancy skills, unique leadership experiences and public speaking expertise as appropriate;
- supporting the MOD by taking part in conversations about Reservist Recruitment strategy and roll out;
- actively championing the benefits of employing ex and current military personnel.
Deloitte is working with 11 social businesses that are focused on increasing employability skills and employment opportunities; we offer business to business support using the skills of our people and the firm’s resources to drive forward their growth ambitions.
The theme this year is skills and employability and we’re delighted to say that 2 military related companies that DMTTP had a relationship with have got onto the 12 month programme:
Fieri - From developing future leaders through to improving personal communication skills, Fieri produce tangible performance results and sustainable change in talented individuals, teams and leaders. They do this using a team of inspirational and experienced former military consultants and instructors, many having experienced life-changing injuries.
‘The advice and service support we are receiving is enabling us to ensure we have sound processes in place throughout our service lines and facilitating our ambition to employ additional veterans, several of whom have been medically discharged.’
Martin Hewitt, Managing Partner, Fieri Leadership and Development
Recruit for Spouses - Founded and run by military spouses like the people it serves, Recruit for Spouses exists to effect a three-fold change in bridging the military and business communities: they alter the way military spouses live and work, enabling an increasingly important second income; they also shape the way modern businesses source and retain quality employees; changing the perception of Forces’ spouses as a transient work force.
‘Recruit for Spouses is delighted to be part of the Social Pioneers program, this is a unique opportunity to work with Deloitte. The program will strengthen our position to further support the hundreds of military wives and partners we help every year into employment.’
Heledd Kendrick, Founder / CEO, Recruit for Spouses Ltd
Defence Employer Recognition Scheme, Gold Award holder
In November 2015, Deloitte was presented the Gold Award from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme, a scheme that recognises employers who actively support Defence and become advocates for Defence personnel. This year the awards focussed particularly on commitments to employing reservists, veterans and forces family members.
“The support from these organisations is making a real difference to our Armed Forces community. They are ensuring that the men and women who have done, and continue to do, so much for our nation are treated fairly.
Whether allowing reservists the time to train, providing jobs or supporting veterans and spouses, these companies embody what the Armed Forces Covenant is about. I am delighted to thank them for their unwavering support."
The Defence Secretary
Other recent awards
DMTTP continues to receive awards in recognition of its work with the wider military community:
- Defence Employer Recognition Scheme, Silver Award holder, Nov 2014
- Veterans Council, Centre of Excellence Awards 2014, Employment Award.
Left: DMTTP partner, Chris Recchia, receiving the Employment ward from the Veterans Council.