Life at Deloitte
Student opportunities in Consulting
Our Finance Consulting team is recognised as the best in the UK. We support Chief Financial Officers (CFOs) to manage their finance functions effectively and to support the wider business.
Because of the broad reaching nature of the finance function – and the CFO’s role – our projects typically touch a number of areas of our clients’ businesses and we often work closely with other teams within Deloitte. Typical projects include helping a retailer with an enterprise wide cost reduction programme, implementing a global finance system for a major bank and delivering a reporting solution for a TV company to monitor audience viewing figures, Facebook likes and telephone voting statistics.
As an Analyst, you will work on a variety of projects and across different industry sectors. Your project experiences will be supplemented by a structure learning and development programme – which includes opportunities to complete technical training and/or study for professional qualifications – to develop you into a high-performing business advisor.
Our practice has a relatively flat structure meaning you will be encouraged to take on responsibility from an early stage. In addition to your project work, you can expect to be involved in internal practice development work and will have opportunities to take ownership of discrete pieces from an early stage. This can range from supporting propositions (the offerings we seek to win new business with) and bids for specific work to helping to organise internal events or supporting the delivery of training courses.
Explore our latest Strategy & Operations opportunitiesSearch jobs
What type of work do we do?
We deliver a wide range of projects from expert advisory projects helping clients assess the performance of their Finance function to large scale transformations of those functions. We work with some of the largest and most complex organisations across all sectors – public and private sector, and financial services. In all of these, we work closely with our client counterparts.
Our typical projects include:
- Delivering strategic and operational improvements to the finance function
- Transforming finance by establishing and improving business partnering, centres of excellence, shared services, and outsourcing
- Improving management decision making
- Managing financial risk and ensuring compliance to financial regulations
Our team is a blend of qualified accountants and finance advisory experts, and experts in other areas including financial business intelligence and financial controls.
What will you do?
As an Analyst in Finance you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and within different industry sectors. Some examples of where our Analysts have gained client experience as part of a wider project team include:
- Helping a large global consumer goods company implement a large-scale Finance Transformation to enhance the value finance adds to the clients’ bottom line
- Assessing and implementing more efficient, effective and accurate finance reporting processes and tools for a national energy company
- Designing a future Operating Model for the Finance function of a global pharmaceuticals company
- Designing and implementing an integrated finance system between 2 recently merged global media companies
- Designing a shared service centre for the Finance, HR, IT and Facilities Management functions of a Middle Eastern Sovereign Wealth Fund and over 20 subsidiary companies
Your work will vary from project to project, but a typical Analyst role might include:
- Supporting client workshops, including developing materials, taking notes and developing workshop outputs
- Supporting the development of key project outputs such as investment business cases, including drafting content and reviewing materials to ensure quality and consistency
- Drafting communications to be sent out to the client’s business as part of a change programme
- Maintaining project trackers to monitor the status of the project and any risks or issues associated with it
To complement this client work, a structured training curriculum has been developed and as you progress through the Firm, you will have the opportunity to study towards a number of professional qualifications. This provides our Analysts with the core consulting skills required to progress within the Firm, producing well-rounded Consultants familiar with tools and techniques from across the Finance Competency.
How are we made up?
Our team ranges from new Analysts to experienced senior practitioners from a variety of backgrounds. Some of our team have joined from industry and bring that sector-specific knowledge with them, others joined as Analysts and have honed their consulting skills during their careers at Deloitte.
CFO Advisory practitioners act as trusted advisors to the CFO. The practice delivers some of the largest and highest profile transformation programmes and focuses on addressing the key issues facing CFOs from a strategic, performance and profitability perspective. Our team has deep expertise in organisational design, benchmarking and people change.
Business Finance works with a wide range of clients, including FTSE100 companies and major Public Sector organisations to improve the Finance function’s business consultative skills, including the business partnering role Finance undertakes to drive key decisions. We enable our clients to make informed decisions through the application of business and finance data analysis techniques, business modelling support and complex business case delivery.
FS Finance focuses on Finance projects specific to the Financial Services Industry. Our practitioners combine both advisory and technology skills with deep industry expertise. We advise on a range of areas from global banking operating models, Assist businesses with transformational new technologies such as blockchain and application rationalisation, digitisation of processes and reporting through robotics cognitive automation, next generation finance systems and stress testing to structural reform and regulatory reporting.
As a new Analyst, you will have opportunities to work on projects across the practice during the course of your 24 month programme.