Life at Deloitte
Student opportunities in Consulting
Our Finance Consulting team is recognised as the best in the UK. We support Chief Finance Officers (CFOs) to manage their finance functions effectively and to support the wider business.
Because of the broad reaching nature of the finance function – and the CFO’s role – our projects typically touch a number of areas of our clients’ businesses and we often work closely with other teams within Deloitte. Typical projects include helping a retailer with an enterprise wide cost reduction programme, implementing a global finance system for a major bank and delivering a reporting solution for a TV company to monitor audience viewing figures, Facebook likes and telephone voting statistics.
As an Analyst, you will work on a variety of projects and across different industry sectors. Your project experiences will be supplemented by a structure learning and development programme – which includes opportunities to complete technical training and/or study for professional qualifications – to develop you into a high-performing business advisor.
Our practice has a relatively flat structure meaning you will be encouraged to take on responsibility from an early stage. In addition to your project work, you can expect to be involved in internal practice development work and will have opportunities to take ownership of discrete pieces from an early stage. This can range from supporting propositions (the offerings we seek to win new business with) and bids for specific work to helping to organise internal events or supporting the delivery of training courses.
Explore our latest Strategy & Operations opportunitiesSearch and apply
What type of work do we do?
We deliver a wide range of projects from expert advisory projects helping clients assess the performance of their Finance function to large scale transformations of those functions. We work with some of the largest and most complex organisations across all sectors – public and private sector, and financial services. In all of these, we work closely with our client counterparts.
Our typical projects include:
- Delivering strategic and operational improvements to the finance function
- Transforming finance with shared services, business partnering and outsourcing
- Improving management decision making
- Managing financial risk and ensuring compliance to financial regulations
- Implementing technology systems to meet new business requirements
Our team is a blend of qualified accountants, finance advisory experts, leaders in the main ERP solutions (SAP and Oracle) and experts in other areas including financial business intelligence and financial security / controls.
What will you do?
As an Analyst in Finance you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and within different industry sectors. Some examples of where our Analysts have gained client experience as part of a wider project team include:
- Designing and implementing an integrated finance system between 2 recently merged global media companies
- Assessing and implementing more efficient, effective and accurate finance reporting processes for a national energy company
- Designing a future Operating Model for the Finance function of a global pharmaceuticals company
- Developing a Project Management Office for the European Finance function of a global pharmaceuticals company
- Designing a shared service centre for the Finance, HR, IT and Facilities Management functions of a Middle Eastern Sovereign Wealth Fund and over 20 subsidiary companies
Your work will vary from project to project, but a typical Analyst role might include:
- Supporting client workshops, including developing materials, taking notes and developing workshop outputs
- Supporting the development of key project outputs, including drafting content and reviewing materials to ensure quality and consistency
- Developing metrics to track testing phases of a major technology system implementation
- Drafting communications to be sent out to the client’s business as part of a change programme
- Maintaining project trackers to monitor the status of the project and any risks or issues associated with it
To complement this client work, a structured training curriculum has been developed and as you progress through the Firm, you will have the opportunity to study towards a number of professional qualifications. This provides our Analysts with the core consulting skills required to progress within the Firm, producing well-rounded Consultants familiar with tools and techniques from across the Finance Competency.
How are we made up?
Our team ranges from new Analysts to experienced senior practitioners from a variety of backgrounds. Some of our team have joined from industry and bring that sector-specific knowledge with them, others joined as Analysts and have honed their consulting skills during their careers at Deloitte. We are organised into four service areas:
CFO Advisory practitioners act as trusted advisors to the CFO. The practice delivers some of the largest and highest profile transformation programmes and focuses on addressing the key issues facing CFOs from a strategic, performance and profitability perspective. Our team has deep expertise in cost modelling, organisational design, benchmarking and people change.
Application Delivery & Advisory works with a wide range of clients, including FTSE100 companies and major Public Sector organisation. We help them realise and deliver their business strategy through the use of business applications that enable automation, complex problem solving, integration of business functions and information management. We provide consulting services throughout the project lifecycle, from strategy and advisory, through to design and implementation; addressing the Finance and Supply Chain functions, and working with the most innovative and market leading business application providers today.
Financial Performance Management & Analytics helps our clients to measure, analyse and drive business performance as well as supports decision making to enable commercial and strategic goals. We deliver technological solutions to support planning, budgeting and forecasting, financial consolidation, reporting and analytics. We enable our clients to make informed decisions through the application of business and finance data analysis techniques, business modelling support and complex business case delivery.
FS Finance focuses on Finance projects specific to the Financial Services Industry. Our practitioners combine both advisory and technology skills with deep industry expertise. We advise on a range of areas from global banking operating models, next generation finance systems and stress testing to structural reform and regulatory reporting.
As a new Analyst, you will be aligned to one of these service areas. However, you will have opportunities to work on projects across the practice during the course of your 24 month programme.
Hear from our people
Read James' story
James is a Consultant in our Consulting, Finance ADA team based in London. He joined Deloitte in August 2011 after completing his undergraduate degree in Biochemistry, followed by a Ph.D. in Physics, both at Leeds. During his time at Leeds he studied abroad in Singapore and was an active member of both the university’s tae kwon do and SCUBA diving societies.