The Deloitte Alternative Lender Deal Tracker Q1 2017
The race for GDP growth: Europe closes in on US
The Deloitte Alternative Lender Deal Tracker now covers 59 leading Alternative Lenders, with whom we track primary mid-market deals across Europe.
The fifteenth issue covers data for the first quarter of 2017 that closed with 79 deals completing, representing a 7% increase in deal flow on a last 12 months basis in comparison with the previous year.
- 2017 has been a bumper start for Europe where in Q1 2017 we saw US$9.1bn of closings, nearly twice the value of all of 2016 European fundraising.
- The number of deals covered has increased to 1011 transactions over the past 18 quarters.
- This issue covers data for the first quarter of 2017 that closed with 79 Alterative Lender deals representing a 7% increase in deal flow on a last 12 months basis in comparison with the previous year.
- Of 79 deals we observed in Q1 2017, over 60% were completed outside of the UK, representing a significant increase in comparison with the previous quarter.
- In the race for growth, Europe is gaining strength and is closing in on the US, with GDP across the Eurozone increasing by 0.6% quarter-on-quarter during the first three months of 2017, and 1.9% on prior year versus 2.0% for the US.
Insights into the Deloitte Alternative Lender Deal Tracker
Currently covers 59 leading Alternative Lenders. only primary mid-market UK and European deals are included in survey
* For the purpose of the deal tracker, we classify senior only deals with pricing L + 650bps or above as unitranche. Pricing below this hurdle is classified as senior debt.
Our Debt Advisory team has been in active dialogue with the leading European Alternative Lenders to set up a quarterly database, which monitors the primary European mid-market deal activity involving these lenders. 59 alternative debt funds currently participate in the Deloitte Alternative Lender Deal Tracker and the results are released to interested parties on a quarterly basis in a public version of the tracker.