Corporate and commercial law
Deloitte Legal provides a full range of intra-group corporate and commercial law services from complex advisory services related to major business life events (including carve-outs, post-merger integration, operational restructuring, group simplification and managed exit) and restructuring contractual arrangements between group companies, through to general secretarial services.
Managing a business today is complex. Boards and Directors need guidance on a broad range of activities including business start-up requirements, dissolving or unwinding of a business as well as general questions arising from day-to-day operational activities. Deloitte Legal’s services include advice on:
- Formation and dissolving of entities
- Company Secretarial compliance & ad-hoc advisory services
- Governance advisory services (e.g. Pre-IPO & Private)
- Board and Committee support
- Shareholder & PSC advice
- Companies Act & LSE reporting
Our Company Secretarial team works alongside experienced business professionals in Deloitte's tax, consulting, accounting, and financial advisory practices to provide clients with cohesive guidance based on their individual and unique circumstances. We have deep experience across a wide range of industries and sectors and jurisdictions.
Corporate and Commercial Law
Groups and businesses are constantly evolving to keep pace with the ever-shifting commercial, economic and regulatory environment. They are continually seeking opportunities to manage operating costs and tax positions, as well as contain cash expenditures. Group and entity structuring, and managing intra-group arrangements, is required to facilitate these activities, but often presents many challenges for multinational corporations.
Leveraging a global network, deeply rooted local focus and experience, and a strategic investment in technology, Deloitte Legal delivers an integrated approach to clients' corporate reorganisation needs. Services include:
- Advising on the law governing the full range of legal entities
- Simplifying group structures
- Executing domestic and cross-border transactions including mergers, demergers, disposals, and company migrations
- Transferring assets and business units
- Aligning legal structures to business models
- Establishing national or regional hubs
- Converting subsidiary company structures to branch structures and vice versa
- Integrating legal structures following a merger or acquisition
- Documenting and changing intragroup commercial and financial arrangements
Providing practical advice and assistance throughout the planning, development, and implementation phases of corporate reorganisations, Deloitte Legal assists businesses and other advisors in developing and implementing efficient, cost effective legal structures and business operating models.
Legal Entity Management & Governance
The global regulatory environment and the structural complexity of organisations is evolving rapidly. Multinational groups with subsidiaries in multiple jurisdictions face many challenges in the area of Legal Entity Management & Governance. Increasing volumes of legal entity reporting, transparency regulations and transactions across the world mean it is now more important than ever for groups to understand, and have confidence in their legal entity structure, and the data they hold. Visibility of the corporate structure continues to rise up the Board’s agenda.
Finance, legal and tax teams are expected to be able present this information to senior stakeholders quickly and easily. Businesses are now seeking the services of subject-matter experts to help manage and minimise the complexity, and to navigate the regulatory landscape.
At Deloitte, we have a range of innovatively delivered Legal Entity Management & Governance solutions that provide an enhanced visibility of a corporate structure. These include the following services:
- Global Legal Entity Compliance outsourcing
- Global Legal Entity Healthchecks
- Legal Entity transaction readiness & PMO services
- Legal Entity organisation chart production & maintenance
- Global subsidiary governance advisory services
- Monitoring & advising on local legislation changes
- Legal Entity technology advisory and implementation services
Essentially we can help provide the trust and confidence in the parts of your structure that are most visible, but also those that are less visible both during steady state and through transactions. This can help your business verify and organise your data and easily report to stakeholders, the board and regulators. Our Legal Entity Management team are also experienced at working with Legal Counsels and Company Secretaries who want to make sure that their subsidiary governance framework is fit for purpose within this ever-changing regulatory landscape. We can help review the existing framework and find solutions where needed to improve its robustness, ensure it is relevant and make it more effective. We are also experienced in helping Company Secretaries to understand how their function compares with their peers by undertaking benchmarking exercises and/or a strategic review.