Investigatory and dispute services
The Deloitte Sports Business Group has an extensive track-record of providing investigatory and dispute services to a wide range of clients in respect of various sports.
Examples of investigatory and dispute services include:
- Reporting on the mechanism for sale of UEFA Champions League TV rights and its distribution of income: expert report on its impact on the ‘solidarity’ in European football – in response to an EU Competition Authority statement of objections.
- Preparation of an expert report on the economic impact of the player transfer system in football for submission to the European Commission, in relation to that body’s inquiry into the football player transfer system.
- Preparation of an expert report on commercial consequences and potential losses in a dispute between two Premier League football clubs over the transfer of a player.
- Preparation of an expert report on the economic and football industry impact of the ‘football creditors rule’ in Commissioners of Inland Revenue v. Exeter City FC.
- Preparation of an expert report, for International (Swiss) Arbitration proceedings, on the sports marketing, media and commercial rights aspects of a dispute over the consequential losses from the cancellation of a global sports competition.
- Expert called by the Association of Tennis Professionals in defence of an anti-trust claim brought by one of its member tournaments, following changes made to the men’s global tennis calendar.
- Performing the forensic accounting exercise on behalf of the Enquiry set up by the Rugby Football Union into alleged improper payments regarding Rotherham RUFC.
- Advice in respect of football industry matters for the loss of earnings case (Ben Collett v Gary Smith/Middlesbrough FC).
- Expert for UK planning inquiry in respect of football industry matters and economic impact for development of new training facilities for Everton FC.