Deloitte provides capital allowances advice to a wide range of sports facility owners and operators to ensure that maximum tax relief is obtained in respect of investments.
Our experience proves that the key to maximising tax relief on sports facility developments is to ensure specialist involvement at the earliest possible stage in the process. Neglecting to do so can lead to a real danger of valuable tax relief being reduced or lost completely, thereby increasing the post-tax cost of development. Capital allowances are typically available on 20 to 50% of the capital cost of sports venue developments.
The working knowledge and experience of involvement in many of the leading stadia projects of the past 20 years uniquely places Deloitte to assist clients in identifying potential opportunities and maximising their tax relief.
Tax depreciation issues managed include:
- Ensuring that project structuring and procurement methods enable capital allowances to be accessed by respective stakeholders;
- Structuring any grants or contributions to ensure that tax relief is available for both contributor and recipient;
- Reviewing draft designs to ensure that, as far as possible, they are tax efficient;
- Providing initial assessments of tax relief potentially available for estimating, financial modelling, funding or value engineering purposes;
- Documenting specialist reviews of expenditure and implementing procedures to ensure specific areas of tax legislation are managed including:
- Liaison with the design team and Local Authority to ensure that successful claims under the provisions of the Safety at Sports Grounds Act (1975) can be made; and
- Mitigation of the “integral features” and “long-life assets” legislation, and maximisation of claims under the Enhanced Capital Allowances (ECA) regime for environmentally beneficial investments; and,
- Early involvement of HMRC and the Valuation Office to resolve any potential future issues as early as possible and ensure that any key record-keeping requirements are addressed in advance.