Targeting and acquiring a sports asset
We have an extensive track-record of assisting investors understand the sports market, identify an appropriate target, and make informed investment decisions.
We have an extensive track-record of providing tailored added-value services to a wide range of clients in respect of various sports assets – in particular sports marketing companies, football clubs, rugby clubs, motorsport teams, new media companies, sports venues – and in a multitude of different countries around the world.
We can help potential investors – corporate or private equity – in gaining a better understanding of the relevant part of the global sports industry, identifying an appropriate target and developing and implementing their bid.
How we can help
• assisting your understanding of the business drivers, the stakeholder map, and the legal, contractual and regulatory environment for the relevant part of the sports market;
• clarification of your investment objectives and possible exit strategies;
• ahead of access to the target’s information, we can utilise available information and our industry expertise to assist your preliminary understanding of a potential target business and to help you develop your financial projections;
• financial and non-financial benchmarking, such as revenues, costs, profits, supporter/customer base;
• identification of appropriate target(s) for acquisition;
• benchmarking of transaction values and identification of issues that will inform your price negotiations; and
• assistance, support and advice through the acquisition process.
Our work helps the potential investor/lender to make an informed decision regarding an acquisition target or investment opportunity in the sports industry.
Financial and tax due diligence in respect of the target business can also be supplemented by broader commercial due diligence on the market in which it operates, and tax structuring advice.
The value to you includes
• identification of the target business drivers and key risks;
• assist your understanding of the quality of recurring cash flows and profits and the reliability of projections;
• identification of issues that will inform your price negotiations and the transaction value;
• the benefit of our deep understanding of the sports business drivers, the stakeholder map, and the legal, contractual and regulatory environment; and
• understanding and analysis of other sports assets and how your target business compares to them and identification of potential upsides.