Financial Reporting Alerts has been saved
Financial Reporting Alerts
Issued as needed to highlight up-to-the-minute accounting, regulatory, or other developments that may require immediate action or that may affect financial reporting and disclosure.
Most Recent Financial Reporting Alert
Financial reporting considerations related to pension and other postretirement benefits
Financial Reporting Alert 19-2
This alert highlights some of the important accounting considerations related to the calculations and disclosures entities provide under U.S. GAAP in connection with their defined benefit pension and other postretirement benefit plans. The alert includes a discussion of:
- Refinements to an entity’s method of selecting a discount rate.
- Considerations related to an entity’s use of a hypothetical bond portfolio and a yield curve and its measurement of components of benefit cost.
- The effective dates for FASB Accounting Standards Update (ASU) No. 2017-07, which addresses income statement presentation of the components of net periodic benefit cost.
- The effective dates for ASU 2018-14, which addresses disclosure requirements related to defined benefit plans.
- Two rulings in 2018 by the High Court of Justice in the United Kingdom related to the equalization of benefits payable to men and women under U.K. defined benefit plans.
Recent Financial Reporting Alerts
- 19-1, Assessing the collectibility of operating lease receivables
- 18-13, Financial reporting considerations related to high court of justice ruling on equalization of U.K. pension benefits
- 18-12, Financial reporting considerations related to pension and other postretirement benefits
- 18-11, Clarifying the interim stockholders’ equity and effective date requirements in the SEC’s final rule on disclosure simplification
- 18-10, Adoption of ASU 2018-07 in an interim period
- 18-9, Classification of cryptocurrency holdings
- 18-8, Recent developments related to the classification of Argentina as a highly inflationary economy under U.S. GAAP
- 18-7, Emerging companies — Common-stock repurchase transactions
- 18-6, Financial statement implications of the new partnership audit rules
- 18-5, Application of ASU 2016-15 to the sale of trade receivables to multi-seller commercial paper conduit structures (Updated August 3, 2018)
- 18-4, FASB issues ASU on reclassifying certain tax effects from AOCI (superseded by Financial Reporting Alert 18-1)
- 18-3, SAB 118 implementation issues (superseded by Financial Reporting Alert 18-1)
- 18-2, FASB makes decisions about the application of income tax guidance to certain tax reform provisions (Deleted. Refer to Financial Reporting Alert 18-1 for updated guidance.)
- 18-1, Frequently asked questions about tax reform (updated August 30, 2018)
- 17-7, Financial reporting considerations related to pension and other postretirement benefits