Sustainability has been saved
Building sustainability into strategy
Like a marathon, sustainability is not a quick sprint, but the rewards for sticking with it can be vast. Businesses that view sustainability and resources efficiency as a part of doing business have realized the value that it brings to their corporate objectives related to revenue, brand, operations, risk management, and corporate social responsibility.
Commitment. Stamina. Results.
Deloitte’s Sustainability professionals take a practical and business-focused approach to helping companies build sustainability into their strategy and operations as a way to improve and protect margins, build brand value, and enhance risk resilience with the goal of supporting business growth. We work with companies to evaluate and develop sustainable strategies that can help drive toward near-term and long-term results. Our sustainability consultants are experienced at identifying opportunities across the value chain and across industries to create potential resource-based financial value.
- Sustainability strategy — Developing a road map to address sustainability risks and opportunities in support of business growth objectives, stakeholder engagement and communications, and brand enhancement programs, as well as prioritizing sustainability initiatives through detailed value quantification.
- Resource productivity and risk mitigation — Identifying ways to address energy, water, and materials risks across the value chain.
- Sustainable operations and supply chain — Refining operations and the supply chain by addressing diverse issues such as supplier engagement, sourcing and procurement, packaging, closed loop recycling, supply chain transparency, and human and labor rights.
- Reporting and disclosure — Identifying ways to improve collection and reporting of data in compliance with laws, regulations, and stakeholder expectations.
Potential bottom-line benefits
- Ability to prioritize sustainability activities and employ strategies to understand where program investments should be focused on capturing value.
- Sustainability strategies that analyze various aspects of a business to identify where sustainability initiatives might have significant impact.
- Quantitative and qualitative outputs that help companies prioritize and refine their sustainability strategy and improve their financial returns.
- Reduced materials cost and price volatility to help drive profitability and increase competitive edge.
- Supply chain improvements, including significant savings in manufacturing and sourcing costs, as well as product quality enhancements that can contribute to increased market share and improved margins.
- Improved supply chain transparency that can help reduce risk for social issues around human rights, labor rights, and anticorruption issues.
- Risk mitigation by understanding business operations and supply chain through a sustainability lens.
- Improved reporting, from basic compliance to third-party assessment scores that can help enhance brand and social license to operate.
Sustainability initiatives drive business value in multiple ways through revenue enhancement, cost reduction, and risk management.