Diggers and Dealers Special Edition 2014
WA Stock Exchange Index
A review of the performance of publicly listed companies headquartered in Western Australia.
Deloitte at Diggers and Dealers
Deloitte is proud to support Diggers and Dealers 2014, a world class mining conference which takes place every August in Kalgoorlie, regional Western Australia. Diggers and Dealers attracts nearly 2,500 delegates from the mining, exploration and professional services industries and includes presentations by listed mining and exploration companies.
Special edition report
Welcome to the Diggers and Dealers special edition of the Deloitte WA Stock Exchange Index (Deloitte WA Index), a monthly review of Western Australian (WA) stocks and indices. In this special edition, we look at the performance of Western Australian resource companies for the financial year ended June 30, 2014, with specific focus on companies and current relevant issues in the gold sector including specialty articles focusing on a number of emerging issues and areas of interest for the gold industry.
- The Deloitte WA Index rose by 18.9% in the year ended 30 June 2014, closing at AU$149.3bn, a result of significant gains across a number of commodities and strong performances by Deloitte WA Index heavy weights such as Wesfarmers, Woodside and Fortescue Metals Group
- It was a strong year for our local National index with the ASX experiencing gains of 12.7%. Overall commodity prices had a strong year with Nickel and Palladium being the top performers with growth of 39.0% and 31.2% respectively. Precious metals gold and silver also experienced strong gains during the financial year increasing 8.3% and 10.6% respectively.
As a part of the special gold edition of the Deloitte WA Index, we acknowledge the top five companies who achieved market capitalisation growth in the gold sector over the year ended 30 June 2014. These companies were:
- Gold Road Resources Limited: Market capitalisation increased by 664% from AU$20m to AU$149m
- Saracen Mineral Holdings Limited: Increase its market capitalisation by 375% from AU$68m to AU$325m
- Northern Star Resources Limited: Market capitalisation increased by 194% from AU$248m to AU$730m
- Papillon Resources Limited: Increase its market capitalisation by 194% from AU$226m to AU$665m
- Metals X Limited: Increased market capitalisation by 166%, from AU$162m to AU$430m.
We also recognise the top performing resources companies outside the gold sector, who achieved market capitalisation growth over the year ended 30 June 2014. These companies were:
- Wolf Mineral Limited: Market capitalisation increased by 419% from AU$44m to AU$226m
- Panoramic Resources Limited: Increase its market capitalisation by 413% from AU$52m to AU$267m
- TNG Limited: Market capitalisation increased by 349% from AU$23m to AU$102m
- Iron Road Limited: Increase its market capitalisation by 253% from AU$49m to AU$175m
- Atrum Coal NL: Increased market capitalisation by 209%, from AU$90m to AU$278m.