A purpose-led paradigm has been saved
A purpose-led paradigm
A new paradigm is required. Our clients need new strategies to manage rising stakeholder demands related to environmental, social and governance (ESG) metrics, and increased regulatory requirements linked to socio-economic priorities. Our role is to guide our clients through their journey.
Some of our most noteworthy projects include:
Enterprise and supplier development (ESD)
- Deloitte assisted with the design of an Enterprise and Supplier Development (ESD) strategy for a South African subsidiary of an Australian mining and metals company, helping it to achieve its preferential procurement objectives.
- Deloitte helped design a non-profit legal entity to centralise an ESD programme for a mining client. Strategic ESD projects were piloted with the aim of kick-starting collaboration between its three mining operations, and to test the ESD programme.
Stakeholder collaboration and community development
- Deloitte worked with four major, mining companies to develop a portfolio of community development projects to increase jobs and skills in the Northern Cape, with a shared vision which encapsulates the interests of the youth, communities, local government and mining companies.
Collaborative Industry Transformation Fund
- Deloitte helped a group of seven Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) operating in South Africa to collaboratively design and set up a fund aimed at increasing the levels of localisation and transformation within their value chain. As a result of the engagement, the seven OEMs have committed R2.2 billion in own capital over the next 10 years. In addition, Deloitte is assisting the client to raise additional R4 billion in funding from other funders. To date, R1.35 billion in additional funding has been secured from International Developmental Funding Institutions, with the assistance of Deloitte.
Responsible sourcing in the platinum and palladium mining sectors
- Deloitte supported one of the world’s largest precious metals mining companies with establishing a management system for the responsible sourcing of platinum and palladium to address money laundering, terrorist financing and gross violations of human rights in the supply chain.
Conflict mineral assurance for gold refineries
- Deloitte conducted responsible sourcing and conflict mineral assurance engagements for several gold refineries. This is to ensure that the requirements of the London Bullion Market Association’s (LBMA) Responsible Gold Guidance and the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas are met.
Social Return on Investment (SROI)
- Deloitte is delivering an SROI engagement for a client providing potable water to a community in the Limpopo province in South Africa, with the goal to understand and quantify the social value created.
Deputy Chief Executive