Together we can create a better tomorrow has been saved
Together we can create a better tomorrow
"Keeping the lights on is our biggest priority. Our most pressing priority is finding alternative solutions that can be rolled out across Africa."
Energy is the lifeblood for any society, and they are the engines that supports economic activity. Without a sustainable solution to the continent’s energy dilemmas, we will face greater challenges in the future. Deloitte Africa has started the process of implementing smart energy solutions that considers:
Reducing our dependence on the grid
- We have installed occupancy light sensors throughout our offices and only use LED lighting.
- The solar panel installation on the roof is expected to reduce our electricity needs from Coal power by approximately 30%
- In our Cape Town office, +- 12000 eco bricks were used to fill concrete voids which was a construction first at the time. Normally polystyrene bricks are used for this.
Minimising how much energy we require to operate
- Our geysers have been fitted with timers so that they are not using electricity when not needed.
- We switch off all the buildings electricity for a period each evening with the only lights remaining on being for security purposes.
- The Thermally Active building system in our Cape Town office circulates cold water through the slabs in Warmer months which helps to cool the office
Creating a working environment that supports our people
- Artificial lighting supplements natural lighting from the large windows thereby utilising less electricity
- In our Waterfall & Cape Town office,
- the blinds in the office are automated and based on annual sun cycles. The blinds come down automatically when the sun is coming through the windows which assists with keeping the floors cool and therefore reduces the reliance on Air-Conditioners.
- the windows throughout the office are double glazed to further reduce heat in the office requiring Air conditioner cooling.
- the large open plan layout has reduced the total air-cons required further reducing our electricity consumption.
Did you know? Our Cape Town office, The Ridge, is amongst the greenest commercial buildings worldwide. Outside of the traditional interventions taken, we worked closely with the building developer to implement cutting edge solutions:
If you would like to share views and insights, or become a Deloitte Climate Champion, reach out by emailing the AfricaSustainabilityOffice@deloitte.co.za.