Deloitte Legal making an impact in the data protection space
Compliance with data protection regulations
Once the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPI”) as well as the General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") are fully promulgated in 2018, organisations will have to comply with the provisions. Our extensive experience has shown that most organisations take up to three years to become data protection compliant, due to the challenges of process and system implementation.
Deloitte Legal is staffed with leading experts in an array of different fields, one of which is privacy, and data protection and has an international footprint. Thus Deloitte Legal is able to leverage international best practices from around the world, enabling our professionals to be market leaders in the space and assist our clients on the journey to being compliant with regulations through our key training programmes.
Deloitte also has a relationship with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (“IAPP”), which is the largest and most comprehensive global information privacy community and resource, helping practitioners and organisations manage and protect their data. The Deloitte privacy and data protection team are the only IAPP certified trainers in Africa.
Deloitte Legal also provides bespoke privacy and data protection training to organisations ranging from advanced training to general training as well as date protection e-learning.
Deloitte Legal Privacy and POPI and Data Protection Training Programmes
Deloitte Legal offers a range of flexible POPI and privacy training solutions to organisations which can be tailored in accordance with the needs of our clients.
Deloitte Legal currently offers POPI and data protection training in the form of:
- IAPP training which provides international privacy certifications;
- POPI and Data Protection classroom training for all organisations who wish to train their stakeholders ranging from executive training to baseline training aimed at all employees; and
- POPI e-learning.
In order to assist organisations to kick-start their data protection and POPI training and awareness, Deloitte Legal is offering training courses which are open to the public on specific dates in 2018.
More information on these data protection and POPI training sessions are below.
Certified International Privacy Professional (“CIPP”) and Certified International Privacy Manager (“CIPM”) Training and Certification
The Certified Information Privacy Management (“CIPM”) certification is the world’s first and only certification in privacy programme management and currently only conducted in South Africa by Deloitte. The CIPM is suitable for professionals who not only need to know the privacy regulations but need to know how to make it work and implement data protection into their organisation.
CIPM will ensure clients know:
- How to create a company privacy vision
- How to structure the privacy team
- How to develop and implement a privacy program framework
- How to communicate to stakeholders
- How to measure performance
- Understand the privacy program operational lifecycle
POPI Nationwide One-day Classroom Training Days
POPI introduces dedicated data protection legislation to South Africa and aims to promote the protection of personal information that is processed by private and public organisations.
The POPI Classroom Training Days, held in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town assist in getting organisations “Regulator ready” by:
- Helping organisations to understand POPI and the practical implications of its provisions within the context of their businesses;
- Assisting organisations to understand what is expected by Regulators across various jurisdictions globally;
- Highlighting the rights of data subjects in respect of data protection;
- Comprehensively explaining the data protection obligations as provided for in POPI; and
- Providing best practice insights on POPI compliance implementation and readiness.
Training Dates - Coming Soon
To enquire about the other data protection training solutions offered Deloitte Legal, please contact us