With standard rates of VAT at 18 percent and customs duties potentially many times higher, managing your liability for indirect taxation and customs duties can make a significant difference to your bottom line. Our experienced team has the skills necessary to ensure that your liability is optimised.
Minimising exposure and managing risk
Customs duties and international trade costs directly affect your profitability. Non-compliance with customs regulations and reporting may result in significant penalties and costs to your business. Effective management of global trade decisions and obligations should be a key consideration in your global supply chain.
Our customs professionals help design strategies and structure global trade transactions that reduce customs duty payments and other international trade costs and that help ensure that legal and regulatory requirements are met.
How we can help
Deloitte Azerbaijan’s customs team includes lawyers, economists. These professionals help companies to get through the complex of customs procedures and customs documentation, which will allow for time and costs allocation in an efficient and legally compliant manner:
- Preparation and review of the customs documentations, including import and export declarations, calculation of the customs duties and taxes;
- Analysis of the potential and current administrative fines and / or investigations in the field of customs payments (import duties, import VAT and/or excise taxes);
- Advice on customs import/export procedures;
- Obtaining of the customs exemption certificates;
- Customs planning;
- Customs audit;
- Legal support of customs legislation and currency control.
Customs compliance review
We offer a proprietary, flexible, and tailored approach to customs and global trade to help clients efficiently manage customs and international trade business processes, assess compliance risks, and take advantage of cash flow opportunities.
Our customs compliance review will provide a clear framework for multinational companies that are seeking greater transparency in trade data and compliance levels and pursuing stronger operational and strategic compliance measures covering classification, origin, and valuation.
Enhanced customs and trade operations will help free up your supply chain and financial staff so that they can focus on strategic business objectives and facilitate consistent diagnosis of customs and trade related risks and opportunities.
Business model optimization
Companies are looking for a sustainable competitive edge. Deloitte's Business Model Optimisation (BMO) professionals work as part of an integrated team consisting of consulting, enterprise risk and tax specialists. We focus on removing avoidable costs from global trade transactions while ensuring compliance with the myriad of trade regulations around the world.
Our approach to optimising business models and supply chains considers both import and export requirements, which helps companies to avoid incremental duty/trade costs and/or supply chain interruption. It also affords companies an opportunity to optimize their customs and global trade processes and to gain a sustainable competitive edge through increased efficiency.
Optimising indirect taxes
Azerbaijan's VAT legislation and regulations are complex and administratively demanding. The lack of a unified interpretation of the legislation and frequent changes to provisions and rules could leave your business exposed.
Our team can help you navigate around the potential pitfalls ensuring that your business is tax efficient and compliant. We can help by:
- Providing advice on appropriate business structures and processes when you set up your operations in Azerbaijan
- Analysing your existing business model and providing advice on how to optimise internal VAT regulations to ensure that all available benefits and incentives are applied and risks minimised
- Analysing the VAT implications of agreements, contracts and their amendments
- Advising on the application of indirect taxes to particular transactions and activities; such as capital construction, business reorganisation and trade incentives
- Developing and improving methods for keeping so called, ‘separate’ VAT accounting, including development of any registers required
- Advising on the procedure for handling VAT Deposit accounts and electronic invoicing
- Preparing applications to the Ministry of Taxes
- Proposing strategies for reclaiming VAT and providing support implementing those strategies