Trends in integrated elderly care and medical services in China - exploring "the last mile" of healthy aging
Trends in integrated elderly care and medical services in China - exploring "the last mile" of healthy aging is a trend analysis report developed by Deloitte Research and Deloitte China Life Sciences and Healthcare Industry Team. Building upon status quo description, in-depth data analysis and cases study, this report provides a comprehensive analysis on trends, opportunities and challenges of China elderly care services and healthcare industry.
Viewpoints / key findings
- At present, although China's senior care products are plenty, the senior care institutions tends to focus on "real estate" and home and community senior care service tends to be "housekeeping". However, they both face the problem of lacking high quality medical service.
- The full implementation of the integration of medical and care services for the elderly is an important means to solve the "the last mile" of senior care services. Although a lot of policy support has been obtained, the problems of multi head supervision, unbalance of talents, insufficient coverage of medical insurance and thin profit issues still need to be further improved.
- The future participants in institutional senior care market should focus on cross industry access and cooperation. Participants in home and community senior care market should focus on resources integration and the services capacity upgrading. In addition, market participants should actively explore the mode of public-private partnership and pay close attention to the development of the related sectors surrounding the senior care industry chain.
- As to public institutions, the integration of medical and care services for the elderly provides a good opportunity for the transformation of the two-level hospitals. Influenced by the trend of tiered medical services, the positioning of the two-level hospitals is becoming more and more blurred. The transformation to medical care with senior care services is a suggested exploration direction for them.
- The development of the integration of medical and care services for the elderly in China can refer to some mature foreign models, such as the United States comprehensive care for the elderly community and Japan's three levels of health care integration system. Meanwhile, we should still take into account the uniqueness of Chinese social form and current medical system.
- To better seize the market opportunities of the integration of medical and care services for the elderly, the participants and investors of the senior care market should pay attention to the policy changes and seize the policy bonus. Make clear the product orientation, design reasonable products according to national conditions and purchasing power. Focus on the mining and matching of the demands at the server side, and take the proper advantage of digital technology. Furthermore, try to integrate the supply chain and build a medical senior care ecosystem.