China's senior housing — Now and the future
China’s ageing population has received growing attention in recent years bringing the issue of “elder care” to the forefront of policy makers, and organizations’ mind. As China’s elderly population grows at an accelerating rate, many businesses now view elder care as a “sunrise industry” which can offer attractive returns for investors. Today, growth in China’s senior housing market is presents both tremendous opportunities and challenges.
Although future demand presents opportunities, investors are also facing challenges such as:
- Mismatched demand between facility and service provision and the overall market
- Inconsistent development and implementation of related government policy
- Financing channel restrictions
- Gaps exist within government policies, laws and regulations
- Unified standards or norms are not in place to safeguard the development and regulation of the industry