Robotic Process Automation
Deloitte’s Robotic Process Automation (RPA) offering can deliver automated and improved business processes required to make your organisation more effective, and increase capacity in your teams.
We will assess your needs and match your requirements with technology that suits your purposes. Our RPA solution is built to realise benefits for you, fast.
- Defining Robotic Process Automation
- What processes are suitable to deploy with RPA?
- Why Robotic Process Automation?
- Our RPA team competencies and methodology
- Our project references
Defining Robotic Process Automation
RPA has the potential to transform today’s workplace as dramatically as the machines of the Industrial Revolution changed the factory floor.
RPA is a way to automate repetitive and often rules-based processes. These transactional processes are typically located within a shared services centre or another transactional processing centre.
Software, commonly known as a ‘robot’, is used to capture and interpret existing IT applications to enable transaction processing, data manipulation and communication across multiple IT systems. Multiple robots can be seen as a virtual workforce – a back-office processing centre but without the human resources.
What processes are suitable to deploy with RPA?
RPA tools are best suited for processes with repeatable, predictable interactions with IT applications. These processes typically lack the scale or value to warrant automation via core systems transformation or if core systems transformation is not due to be implemented soon. RPA tools can improve the efficiency of these processes and the effectiveness of services without changing the underlining systems.
RPA software ‘robots’ perform routine business processes by mimicking the way that people interact with applications through a user interface and following simple rules to make decisions. Entire end-to-end processes can be performed by software robots with very little human interaction, typically to manage exceptions.
RPA can be used to automate processes that are:
- Highly repetitive
- Prone to error
- Rules based
- Time critical and seasonal
Why Robotic Process Automation?
The benefits of RPA solutions go beyond cost reduction and include:
- Decreased cycle times and improved throughput
- Flexibility and scalability
- Improved accuracy
- Improved employee morale – enables them to add more value
- Allows time to innovate and focus on customer satisfaction
- Detailed data capture
Our RPA team competencies and methodology
Deloitte’s RPA team comprises a pool of experienced professionals allowing us to support every role profile required for the delivery of services and the RPA deployment in all of its delivery models:
- The standard single process automation follows a hybrid agile methodology to take advantage of the RPA concept and SME availability
- The process analysis phase is greatly enhanced by Deloitte’s knowledge base and proven history of process expertise
- Our developers work closely with client SMEs, business analysts, process experts and RPA technology architects to resolve any misunderstandings quickly and efficiently
- We understand the impact of RPA on your business and are able to take advantage of onshore and local resources to reduce the barrier between automation resources and client’s employees
- Taking RPA from PoC to large-scale deployment can be difficult and Deloitte has proven experience doing this across many industries.
Our project references
We understand well the specifics of individual industries – our RPA team has successfully delivered projects in the financial services, telco and utility sectors:
- Automation of selected OTC / PTP accounting processes for a major Dutch oil & gas company – our client requested a major process transformation, requesting RPA automation of 112 FTEs. Within initial 8 months of the project 20 FTEs were successfully automated with the remaining 83 FTEs to follow. RPA has also enabled significant optimisation in client's operations that had to be designed at the beginning of the project. AA technology has been used.
- Automation of mortgage loan rate refixing and charges for a Slovak retail bank – our client planned to outsource local back office work to a regional service centre without increasing staffing. Our team helped to create a tailor-made RPA strategy and an IT security model for the bank with a vision of a total 200 FTE reduction. Blue Prism technology was used.
- RPA automation concept for a major Czech telco operator - addressing core products such as service cancellations and repeals. We helped to launch RPA in client operations to create a basis for the planned 20% cost reduction over 12 months and to enable efficiency improvements. Our work comprised build-up of a CoE, initial processes development, client team mentoring and training in RPA and delivery into production using RPAaaS. Blue Prism technology was used.
- Automation of selected new sales and claims processes for a Danish car insurer – our client had several processes with substantial processing backlogs and was keen to resolve the challenge without hiring new staff. 8 core processes were successfully automated using RPA, eliminating the backlog and saving 5 FTEs. Blue Prism technology was used.
- RPA automation of client identity validation for a large Irish retail bank – our client had to validate client identities of about 2 M accounts whereby the initial cost was estimated to EUR 8 M. Our team prepared a PoC demonstrating that using RPA would save almost EUR 7 M and substantially shorten the time needed to get the work done. We have also delivered the process and project design and performed an assessment of client's RPA team. Blue Prism technology was used.