IP Advisory: Deep value creation for media companies through Intangible Asset Management
Six essential actions and considerations
Media companies have an enormous opportunity to capitalize on the intangible assets they create. These include intellectual property (IP) rights such as copyrighted content, patented online and mobile delivery methods, trademarks and trade secrets, and other assets such as data, brand reputation, strategies, and customer and business relationships.
Major media firms should conduct detailed portfolio analyses to understand what is most valuable to them and why. In our new perspective, Deep value creation for media companies through Intangible Asset Management, there are a number of actions to consider.
- Innovation Planning: Active monitoring, evaluation and protection of intangible assets is essential to delivering value from products and services being developed.
- Competitive Intelligence: Understand competitors’ intangible assets to understand their business’ own IP positioning, business opportunities and potential risks.
- Portfolio Evaluation: Regular IP portfolio reviews can equip media businesses with a clear value assessment of each of their assets, allowing for sound decision making.
- Risk Mitigation: Effective risk mitigation can potentially help businesses avoid lawsuits by monitoring the filing and litigation activities of competitors.
- Monetization: IP divestment, licensing, and technology transfers can be executed as part of an IP strategy to generate revenue from under-used and non-core assets.
- Transaction Execution: Buying, licensing and selling intangible assets requires an in-depth understanding of the nature of assets, target media markets, price arguments and deal structures.
Deloitte’s IP Advisory practice leverages its deep IP experience, market and analytics capabilities, and transaction experience to assist clients throughout the IP lifecycle―everything from helping companies design a framework to identify and evaluate their IP, to exploring competitive intelligence and market developments to help monetize assets, and bringing parties together to execute transactions or collaborate effectively.