Global Indirect Tax News
Monthly newsletter covering VAT, goods and services tax, sales tax issues, and global trade issues around the globe.
The Australian Taxation Office has been developing the GST analytical tool and testing it on selected taxpayers. The ATO is making available its GAT materials, a guide and a spreadsheet template, to the wider taxpayer community, noting that there may be further refinements.
With increasing protectionism and a rise in the imposition of tariff measures globally, how are companies that engage in cross-border trade affected? Taxpayers must assess the impact of measures and mitigate cost and risk, while maintaining compliance obligations.
The special electronic regime for VAT credit refunds is now available for certain companies that have accumulated VAT credits as a result of their export operations, as an alternative to manually filing the "hard copy" refund application form.
Advocate General Hogan of the Court of Justice of the European Union has delivered his opinion in a case involving the compatibility of the Italian financial transaction tax with EU law. The AG concluded that the FTT is not contrary to EU law.
More than four years have passed since foreign digital service providers became subject to Japanese consumption tax on 1 October 2015. The Japanese tax authorities recently have intensified their audits of FDSPs to maximize collection of JCT due.
The tax authorities updated their guidance for businesses and individuals on the taxation of cryptoassets. The guidance is intended for use by any type of entity conducting a business involving exchange tokens, including companies, partnerships and sole traders.
- Eurasian Economic Union: Recent Eurasian Economic Union customs developments
- Australia: Commissioner changes view about time-limiting rules for fuel tax/input tax credits
- Australia: GST: Delay to expansion of director penalty notice and estimates regimes
- Australia: Weekly tax round-up (2 December 2019), including GST
- Australia: Weekly tax update (16 December 2019), including GST
- China: China-US reach Phase One trade agreement
- China: Draft VAT law consolidates, streamlines existing rules
- Cyprus: VAT refund available on the purchase of a building plot by a private individual
- Finland: Provisions implementing EU VAT “quick fixes” incorporated into domestic legislation
- Greece: Proposals released regarding electronic books and invoices
- Greece: Guidelines released for deduction/refund of VAT related to bad debts
- Hungary: Further changes to real-time invoice data reporting obligation announced
- India: CBIC specifies electronic invoicing requirements for B2B supplies
- India: Dbriefs webcast: International Financial Services Centre: New financing opportunities in India
- Italy: New VAT measures affect compliance, thresholds for penalties
- Italy: Decree includes numerous provisions affecting excise duty
- Italy: Guidance issued on eligibility of non-EU suppliers for zero VAT rate on exports
- New Zealand: Tax Policy: What to expect in the twenties
- The Netherlands: Upper house of parliament adopts 2020 indirect tax proposals
- Russia: VAT treatment of contributions to charter capital clarified
- Russia: Update on VAT and customs developments
- Russia: VAT zero-rating in connection with European Football Championship 2020 clarified
- Russia: Update on application of EEU customs code, customs control zones
- Singapore: GST remission rate for 2020 on expenses of qualifying funds announced
- Singapore: New GST e-tax guide on digital payment tokens issued
- South Africa: New "MobiApp" introduced to aid customs officers
- Switzerland: Tax authorities release new guidance on VAT liability of athletes and sports teams
- Switzerland: VAT guidelines for foreign companies released
- Switzerland: New rules on VAT treatment of tourist taxes
- Switzerland: New rules introduced regarding medical advice provided by phone
- United States: Prescription drug pricing bill – with excise tax component – clears House
- United States: Wayfair: State income tax considerations for non-US companies
- United States: State Tax Matters (29 November 2019), including indirect tax developments in Georgia
- United States: State Tax Matters (6 December 2019), including indirect tax developments from the Multistate Tax Commission and in Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota and Texas
- United States: State Tax Matters (13 December 2019), including indirect tax developments in Texas and Washington
- United States: State Tax Matters (20 December 2019), including indirect tax developments in Hawaii, Illinois, Michigan and Utah