Deloitte continues growing major blockchain initiative, teaming with five technology companies and announcing 20 prototypes in development
Malta, 3 May 2016 — Deloitte announced this morning, at CoinDesk's Consensus 2016 conference in New York, that it is working with five prominent blockchain companies – BlockCypher, Bloq, ConsenSys, Loyyal (formerly known as Ribbit.me) and the Stellar Development Foundation – to provide new technological capabilities to its global financial institution clientbase.
Deloitte is developing 20 blockchain-related prototypes that cover a multitude of uses such as digital identity, digital banking, cross-border payments, and loyalty and rewards, as well as in the investment management and insurance sectors.
The Deloitte Global Consumer & Industrial Products Industry group (Global C&IP) comprises more than 22,000 member firm partners and industry professionals in over 45 countries. Deloitte member firms provide professional services to 84 percent of the C&IP industry companies on the Fortune Global 500®, making an impact that matters in business sectors representing the entire value chain from raw materials to the end consumer. The group brings deep industry knowledge, service line experience, and thought leadership to help solve complex business issues in every corner of the globe. Deloitte member firms attract, develop, and retain the very best professionals, and instil a set of shared values centred on integrity, commitment, and serving clients with distinction. Sectors served include automotive; chemicals and specialty materials, including metals, forest, paper and packaging; consumer products; industrial products and services, including aerospace and defense; retail, wholesale and distribution; as well as travel, hospitality and business services. For more information about the Global C&IP Industry group, please visit
"Blockchain is proving to be a major disruptive force in financial services," said Joe Guastella, a principal with Deloitte Consulting LLP, and U.S. and global leader of the financial services practice. "The industry prototypes and pilots have shown this, and we continue to focus on helping our clients to make blockchain a reality for their businesses."
"These five blockchain companies are collaborating with Deloitte's teams not just in the U.S., but across key geographies as well. Each complements our deep industry experience and, together, we are harvesting the benefits of blockchain technologies — developing new revenue models, improving cost efficiencies and creating innovative solutions across the globe," said Guastella.
Deloitte's approach involves collaborating with its clients from idea stage through to the end commercialisation, serving as the consultancy version of an incubator. As part of that process, Deloitte works with clients to rapidly build and test ideas, leveraging the latest solutions from its fintech ecosystem and integrating them into complex client environments. Overall, Deloitte brings a broad set of services including strategy, technology, talent, operations, risk, compliance, accounting and tax to transform these ideas into meaningful results.
Each blockchain company can contribute a distinct capability or technology to Deloitte's clients:
- BlockCypher is a cloud blockchain provider. It enables developers and enterprises to easily build reliable blockchain applications. BlockCypher's platform runs Ethereum, Bitcoin and custom private chains at-scale.
- Bloq provides enterprise grade blockchain solutions to leading companies worldwide. Deloitte and Bloq are working together to deliver blockchain-enabled technology designed to improve integrity and security, and reduce costs in the $1.1 trillion insurance industry.
- ConsenSys is a production studio building decentralised applications and various developer and end-user tools for blockchain ecosystems, focusing primarily on Ethereum. Deloitte and ConsenSys have joined forces with the common purpose of fundamentally transforming banking into true digital enterprises.
- Loyyal is a universal loyalty and rewards platform using blockchain and smart contract technology. It introduces interoperability to the currently fragmented industry, multi-branded coalitions, program liability management and dynamic issuance/redemption options customised for each unique relationship.
- Stellar.org connects financial institutions, payments systems, and people so that anyone can send money to anyone else quickly and reliably. The Stellar network is designed to reduce friction and fees for micropayments and remittances to make affordable financial services accessible to the world.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee (“DTTL”), its network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL (also referred to as “Deloitte Global”) does not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/mt/about for a more detailed description of DTTL and its member firms.
Deloitte Malta refers to a civil partnership, constituted between limited liability companies, and its affiliated operating entities: Deloitte Services Limited, Deloitte Technology Solutions Limited, Deloitte Consulting Limited, and Deloitte Audit Limited. The latter is authorised to provide audit services in Malta in terms of the Accountancy Profession Act. A list of the corporate partners, as well as the principals authorised to sign reports on behalf of the firm, is available here.
Cassar Torregiani & Associates is a firm of advocates warranted to practise law in Malta and is exclusively authorised to provide legal services, in Malta, under the Deloitte brand.
Deloitte provides audit, consulting, financial advisory, risk management, tax and related services to public and private clients spanning multiple industries. With a globally connected network of member firms in more than 150 countries and territories, Deloitte brings world-class capabilities and high-quality service to clients, delivering the insights they need to address their most complex business challenges. Deloitte’s more than 225,000 professionals are committed to making an impact that matters.