All about VAT
Tailored seminars for tax practitioners
Specializing in VAT has become a necessity for professionals within companies' tax teams. The legislation complexity, its frequent changes, the increasingly sophisticated reporting requirements entail both new administrative burdens and good knowledge of VAT.
In this context, Deloitte’s VAT department has structured the seminar "All about VAT" in two modules - basic and advanced - precisely in order to give tax practitioners the possibility to choose the option that answers the problems that they face in their current position.
The seminars will take place in Bucharest, as follows:
- February 5, 2019 - Basic module
- February 12, 2019 - Advanced module
"The experience of the last 12 years of activity, since the implementation of the VAT Directive until now, has helped us in identifying the skills and competencies necessary for specialists of tax departments in order to successfully navigate through the labyrinth of VAT legislation. Each member of the team needs specific knowledge of VAT, from junior level to manager or CFO", explains Raluca Bâldea, Indirect Tax Director.
The basic module is mainly addressed to professionals with 1 to 3 years of experience that are preparing internal reports and VAT returns and are present during tax audits.
At the end of this module, the participants:
- Will understand how the VAT system works;
- Will have a clear understanding of VAT returns;
- Will be prepared to assess the accuracy of invoices, as well as to identify situations where transport documents, customs export or import declarations are required.
"The members of your team participating in this module will be prepared for VAT reporting, but also for VAT audits either as a result of a VAT refund request or as a result of a check by the authorities. It is fundamental for the financial department to know the formal requirements of an invoice. The most common reason for rejecting the VAT deduction right continues to be the failure to comply with the invoicing requirements", explains Ana Săbiescu, VAT Manager.
The advanced module is addressed to tax managers with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience willing to expand their knowledge in the VAT area related to:
- The challenges of the applied tax treatment;
- VAT risk management;
- Potential VAT risks and ways of mitigating or reducing them;
- Customs legislation impact on transactions with goods and related VAT implications;
- Acting as an export of record in chain transactions;
- Methods to obtain the VAT exemption for imports;
- Adjustment of customs value and related VAT implications;
- VAT implications depending on various factors within chain transactions with goods (i.e. where the goods arrive, who is responsible for the transport, what VAT ID was used, INCOTERMS conditions, who are the customers/vendors, etc.);
- Identifying relevant items from a VAT perspective in case of supplies of services: what type of service is supplied, if it is a complex service, who is the beneficiary of the service if the service would not benefit from an exemption, etc.
"Recent CJEU case law underlines, despite the VAT neutrality principle, that VAT deduction can be rejected if VAT was incorrectly charged. Thus, we reiterate the necessity to check the VAT treatment, especially in the case of chain supplies of goods, as the VAT deduction is not guaranteed only by being mentioned on the invoice.", says Ana Săbiescu, VAT Manager.
During the seminar, our team will share their experience gained while assisting during tax audits.
The agenda can be tailored to the profile of the participants in this module and the industry in which they operate so that we can focus on the interested areas.
Agenda – Basic module
09:00 - 09:30 Registration
09:30 - 11:00
- Transactions subject to VAT: Supplies of goods and services
11:00 - 11:15 Coffee break
11:15 - 13:00
- VAT deduction: Substance over form
13:00 - 14:00 Lunch break
14:00 - 15:30
- VAT reporting: What statements should we prepare and which registers should we check
15:30 - 15:45 Coffee Break
15:45 - 17:00
- VAT audits: How should we prepare and how it unfolds.
*The official language of the event is Romanian.
250 € – per participant for basic module
250 € – per participant for advanced module
400 € – for both modules
If a company sends more people to a single module, a 10% discount is offered.
Snacks and lunch are included during the event. The participation fee does not include VAT.
The invoice for the participation fee will be issued and provided after the event.
Raluca Bâldea - Director within the Indirect Tax Department of Deloitte Romania
Raluca is a Director within the Indirect Tax Department of Deloitte Romania, specialized in VAT.
Particularly in Energy, Raluca focuses on both Oil & Gas and Electricity sector. Raluca has gathered an extensive experience in assisting local and multinational companies in projects: tax structuring and optimization, tax due diligence, tax advisory, tax reviews or tax litigations, as well as tax representation
Currently Raluca is the coordinator for Kuwait Petroleum on its tax compliance and tax advisory activities in more than 24 Central Europe and non-Central Europe countries.
Raluca is a chartered tax advisor, member of the Romanian Chamber of Tax Consultants and tax expert registered at National Courts. She holds a BA in Business Administration from the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest.
Mihai Petre - Senior Manager, Customs and Global Trade, Deloitte Romania
Mihai brings an experience of 16 years in advising local and multinational companies on customs matters. His largest professional achievement to date was to act as the key customs advisor for three offshore drilling campaigns performed in the Black Sea (Exclusive Economic Zone of Romania) totaling EURO 1 billion in investments during 2012-2016.
As public speaker, Mihai delivered customs trainings and seminars to more than 1000 people in the last year on changes brought by the Union Customs Code, together with speakers from the European Commission, Romanian customs authorities and business environment. He is the author of many high profile technical articles and disputes on customs matters.
He started with Arthur Andersen and later built his career with other BIG 4 companies, being extensively involved in supply chain restructuring, exports controls.
Mihai is member of Romanian Chamber of Tax Consultants and the Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants from the UK.
Ana Săbiescu – Manager within the Tax Department of Deloitte Romania
Ana is a Manager within the Tax Department of Deloitte Romania, specialized in VAT. She has an experience of more than six years on VAT advisory projects, tax reviews, tax optimization projects, restructuring projects, tax litigations, as well as tax representation in front of the tax authorities.
She has exposure to several industries, but focused on on energy & resources. Ana is Certified tax consultant, member of the Romanian Chamber of Tax Consultants.
She graduated a master class in Tax Law at the Law Faculty from Bucharest University. Ana has also graduated the Finance, Insurance, Banking and Stock Exchanges faculty and the master class in Management of Banking Systems from the Academy of Economic Studies from Bucharest.
The events will be held as follows:
- February 5, 2019 - Basic module | Hotel Hilton Garden Inn (2 Doamnei Street). For registration please access this link.
- February 12, 2019 - Advanced module | tel Hilton Garden Inn (2 Doamnei Street). For registration please access this link.
Mobil: +40 730 255 561
You can cancel your registration for this event, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5 days before the date of the event. We reserve the right to cancel the event if the minimum number of confirmations is not met. In this case, you will be informed in due time.