Global Indirect Tax News
Monthly newsletter covering VAT, goods and services tax, sales tax issues, and customs and trade issues around the globe.
- Costa Rica: Costa Rica’s executive branch recently presented a proposal to reform General Sales Tax.
- Mexico: Mexican sugar subject to export quotas.
- Mexico: Countervailing duties imposed on imports of ammonium sulfate.
- Mexico: Eighth Amendment to Mexican Foreign Trade Rules.
- United States: U.S. Supreme Court issues decision in Colorado remote seller reporting case.
- United States: New process for consolidated electronic filing of cargo release and ISF data in ACE.
- United States: BIS and OFAC amend regulations on Cuba and State Department publishes statement on goods and services eligible for importation.
- Trade Preferences: Mexico-Brazil: Mexico and Brazil agree on free trade in the automotive sector.
- Trade Preferences: Mexico-Paraguay: Mexico and Paraguay resume negotiations for a trade agreement.
- ASEAN: ASEAN ministers advance AEC blueprint after two-day retreat.
- India: Highlights of the indirect tax changes in the Union Budget for the financial year 2015-16.
- India: Highlights of the VAT-related changes in the State Budget for the State of Rajasthan.
- India: Service tax paid on a works contract transaction is not to be part of the sale price for the levy of VAT in the State of Maharashtra.
- India: Amendments to the Rajasthan Investment Policy Scheme 2014 to extend further benefits to the electronic system design manufacturing sector.
- India: Exemption and reduction in basic customs duty and countervailing duty for certain medical devices/inputs for use in the manufacturing of certain medical devices.
- Japan-Malaysia: Implementation of Japan-Malaysia mutual recognition of AEO programs.
- New Zealand: A draft operational statement has been released by the tax authorities regarding GST and the costs of sale associated with mortgagee sales.
- New Zealand: A Bill has been introduced regarding the GST treatment of bodies corporate.
- Singapore: Application for customs permit via Tradenet® for importation of ship spares for repair.
- Singapore-Hong Kong: Implementation of Hong Kong-Singapore mutual recognition of AEO programs.
- South Korea: Amendment of interest rate for customs duty penalty tax.
- South Korea-Mexico: Implementation of Korea-Mexico mutual recognition of AEO programs.
- Trade Preferences: China-Korea: The governments of China and Korea initialled a free trade agreement on 25 February 2015.
- Egypt: Update on VAT introduction and revisions to existing sales tax.
- European Union: France and Luxembourg lose ‘reduced VAT rate on e-books’ cases at CJEU.
- Finland: Port fees charged by a port operator to a shipping company’s agent were VAT exempt.
- Italy: New filing obligations for VAT returns and communications postponed.
- Italy: Invoicing obligations for domestic supplies made by foreign companies subject to reverse charge.
- Italy: VAT refunds for suppliers under split payment regime.
- Italy: Clarification of requirements for e-invoicing for supplies made to public administrations.
- Italy: Clarifications on e-invoicing and the split payment mechanism.
- Italy: Circular letter n° 7/E dated 26 February 2015 regarding the ‘endorsement of conformity’.
- Italy: Confindustria ask EU not to authorize application of reverse charge mechanism to large-scale retail businesses.
- Italy: Supreme Court decision in VAT fraud case.
- Italy: Supreme Court confirms right to VAT deduction following CJEU judgment.
- Malta: The VAT authorities have published guidance on the definition and scope of ‘electronically supplied services’.
- Malta: The legislator has introduced an exemption from the obligation to issue fiscal receipts with respect to supplies made under the mini one stop shop.
- Malta: A reduced VAT rate has been introduced for books ‘disseminated through electronic means’.
- Malta: The VAT registration threshold for persons established in Malta was abolished with effect from 1 January 2015.
- Malta: The rules regarding the remission of interest and administrative penalties have been amended.
- Poland: Court ruling expected on VAT bad debt relief provisions.
- Portugal: The draft law to regulate online gambling and betting has been approved, but has not yet entered into force.
- Portugal: It is intended that the reduced and intermediate VAT rates applicable in the Autonomous Region of Azores will be reduced this year.
- Portugal: The tax authorities have issued an administrative ruling regarding the agricultural producers’ regime.
- Slovenia: A special VAT arrangement has been introduced for the provision of occasional international road transport of passengers.
- Slovenia: Approval of the action plan for the introduction of fiscal cash registers by the government.
- Switzerland: Proposal issued on the VAT law revision, with a number of proposed amendments, in particular concerning foreign persons doing business in Switzerland.
- United Kingdom: VAT grouping and offshore branches – changes in practice from 1 January 2016.
- United Kingdom: Court of Appeal judgment in VAT ‘restitution’ claims.
- United Kingdom: Consultation on removal of manual customs declarations.
Global Indirect Tax News, February 2015
Global Indirect Tax News, January 2015
Global Indirect Tax News, December 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, November 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, October 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, September 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, August 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, July 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, June 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, May 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, April 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, March 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, February 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, January 2014
Global Indirect Tax News, December 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, November 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, October 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, September 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, August 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, July 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, June 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, May 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, April 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, March 2013
Global Indirect Tax News, February 2013
For back editions of global indirect tax news, please email a request to email@example.com