What are your risks?
- Online payment systems may not guarantee the safety of your money – $81M stolen from central bank of Bangladesh in 2016 cyber heist
- Drugs, information and your credit card data – Take your pick in the online black markets
- Is your child’s identity at risk? – Young mum experiences ‘digital kidnapping’
- Cyber bullying can kill - How it can lead to suicide
- Your data and devices could be held hostage – Find out the anatomy of a ransomware
How is your data retrieved?
Social Engineering Attacks
- Baiting – Watch what happens when you plug a foreign device into your computer
- Phishing – Personal details targeted in phishing emails that appears as Google Docs
- Pretexting – Your board director can be an impersonator to get your phone records (Hewlett-Packard incident)
- Read more on social engineering fraud
- Social media alone can help cyber criminals know you better– 30% of internet users vulnerable to attacks
- Google tracks you by what you share – Here’s how to stop it
- Think before you post – When it can cost you your job
What can you do?
- Be discreet about your privacy settings and ‘check-in’s.
- Be sure you know who people are before accepting connections
- Be wary about messages from unfamiliar emails
Your biggest risk could be you
Daily Mail. (2016, April 23). Hackers steal $81 million from a Bangladeshi bank with no firewall... and were only caught out when the illiterate fraudsters spelt 'foundation' as 'fandation'. Retrieved from Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555298/Hackers-steal-81-million-Bangladeshi-bank-no-firewall-caught-illiterate-fraudsters-spelt-foundation-fandation.html#ixzz4oaAuU5g3
News. (2016, January 18). Suspicion and mistrust: Total anarchy on the dark web. Retrieved from News: http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/security/suspicion-and-mistrust-total-anarchy-on-the-dark-web/news-story/e9240f00f4a69206e811efc4086b9213
Yahoo. (2015, March 3). The Disturbing Facebook Trend of Stolen Kids Photos. Retrieved from Yahoo: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-my-son-was-digitally-kidnapped-what-112545291567.html
CNN. (2016, December 1). Teen who was relentlessly bullied kills herself in front of her family. Retrieved from CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/01/health/teen-suicide-cyberbullying-trnd/index.html
Deloitte.com. Ransomware is moving to the next level. Retrieved from Deloitte.com: https://www2.deloitte.com/lu/en/pages/risk/articles/ransomware-moving-next-level.html
NBC News. (2017, May 4). Massive Phishing Attack Targets Gmail Users. Retrieved from NBC News: http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/massive-phishing-attack-targets-millions-gmail-users-n754501
The New York Times. (2006, September 8). Hewlett-Packard Spied on Writers in Leaks. Retrieved from The New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/technology/08hp.html
Deloitte.com. Safeguarding your enterprise from social engineering fraud risks. Retrieved from Deloitte.com: https://www2.deloitte.com/in/en/pages/finance/articles/social-engineering-fraud-risks.html
ETCIO.com. (2016, January 10). Oversharing on social networking sites leaves 30% internet users vulnerable to cybercrime. Retrieved from ETCIO.com: http://cio.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/digital-security/oversharing-on-social-networking-sites-leaves-30-internet-users-vulnerable-to-cybercrime/50517472
Wired. (2017, March 20). Google tracks everything you do: here’s how to delete it. Retrieved from Wired: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-history-search-tracking-data-how-to-delete
Deloitte.com. Phishing and ransomware can be your worst nightmares, how can you prevent these evolving threats. Retrieved from Deloitte.com: https://www2.deloitte.com/lu/en/pages/risk/articles/phishing-ransomware-how-to-prevent-threats.html