Taxation of works of art and activities related to art
Despite a broad understanding of the definition of art, the tax issues are highly relevant and apply to everyone involved in the art world: from the collectors of artworks and artists to financially interested parties.
Deloitte Ukraine and a global network of professionals offer a wide range of services in the field of works of art to meet the needs of clients across the globe, in particular:
- Tax planning of transfers of property as gift or as inheritance for collectors, family offices, private asset managers, and art consultants
- Intellectual property rights for artists and heirs
- Corporate taxation of companies operating in the art market
- Planning of charitable activities for collectors, family offices, private asset managers, and art consultants
- Assistance with import and export of works of art for stakeholders
Based on experience of Deloitte in providing services in the field of art, our experts develop tailored solutions for tax structuring of artworks ownership. Art collection often constitutes a significant portion of the family's wealth, thus becoming a key aspect in financial and inheritance planning.
Works of art represent assets that are increasingly becoming part of the family's identity, as well as an investment opportunity generating investment income and diversification. Recent developments indicate a significant potential for integrating the arts into the wealth management process as a means of retaining and increasing wealth of private persons.
With a rising popularity of artworks as a separate asset type, Deloitte provides a wide range of services in the area of taxation of works of art and related activities. Our clients include private and corporate collectors, art and cultural institutions, foundations, banks, asset management companies, family offices and others.
Our service offering – “Works of art that work for your benefit: an individual approach”
Customs clearance rules and VAT collection procedure applied to the works of art are too complex to offer a one-size-fits-all solution.
In terms of indirect taxes, completely different approaches may be proposed, depending on a great many of factors that include particular characteristics of the vendor, buyer, intermediary agent, the work of art itself, its physical relocation and the place it will be moved to.
- We offer expertise of an extended network of indirect tax specialists in European countries.
- You benefit from high quality advice on conducting activities related to works of art and an effective VAT payment process.
- You will avoid unpleasant surprises, last-minute contract cancellation, and other issues related to indirect taxes.