Futsal teams make impressive return to Deloitte Prague Cup has been saved
Life at Deloitte
Futsal teams make impressive return to Deloitte Prague Cup
Decisions magazine - Issue 13
After a five year hiatus, our Deloitte Singapore men’s and women’s teams returned to compete for the second time at the 16th inter-Deloitte football tournament in Prague, Czech Republic. 24 players from all five businesses represented Singapore as the only Asian team.
The Deloitte Prague Cup has become an annual highlight for hundreds of Deloitte people from around the world. This year’s edition of the game attracted over 1,000 players from 30 different countries – a record-breaking 95 teams in total. After sweeping all the futsal and field soccer gold medals at the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA) Games 2018, our Singapore teams trained for 5 months ahead of the tournament.
Our women’s team, represented by two alumni and 10 employees was in the largest ever women’s tournament which consisted of 19 teams. Having won the Consolation Cup in 2014, they aimed to go one better in 2019, and they did!
Our ladies topped their group after thumping wins over Leipzig and Netherlands Consulting. They went on to beat a strong USA 'B' team in the knockout stages with National Footballer Ho Hui Xin and Ex-national Footballer Deborah Chin in commanding form and Sim Min Li contributing several goals.
In the semi-finals they met the 3-time defending champions, Canada and dominated the match from from start-to-finish with alumni Jacy Yee scoring the winning goal. However in the final, despite a tremendous performance, they lost 1-0 to the USA A team who used their height advantage to great effect to score the winning goal – the only goal that the Singapore defence, commanded by National Football Captain Angelyn Pang concede in the whole tournament.
Ending on a high note, our very own Deloitte alumni, Mira Shahidah, was named women’s Most Valuable Player for the tournament after a stunning goalkeeping display in the final had the whole crowd chanting her name!
Our men’s team faced very tough competition against an incredible 76 teams, split into 20 groups. The team started off strong with a comfortable win over the Zurich team, led from the front by Raihan and Randy Pay. They then won 1-0 against Hamburg with a controlled performance and a stunning goal from Syafiq Zainal.
In the final group game a tremendous defensive performance by Lasse Lund,
Gary Loo, Cedrick Poh and James Walton held a very strong Spanish team to a 0-0 draw to qualify from the group. In the knock-out match our men dominated the game against Ukraine and were holding on to a one goal lead in the last minute, only for the Ukraine to score a late equaliser. The game went to a penalty shoot-out and despite the National Footballer Jasper Chan saving one penalty, two missed penalties by our team meant our journey ended early.
The annual event rounded off with a fabulous after party of food and drinks, music and networking. It was a great tournament for the Deloitte men’s and women’s teams who did Deloitte Singapore proud.
Deloitte women’s team
1. Amanda James Tax & Legal Senior
2. Angelyn Pang Clients & Markets Assistant Manager
3. Asqiha Abdul Wahab Audit & Assurance Senior
4. Deborah Chin Risk Advisory C&M Manager
5. Ho Hui Xin Clients & Markets Senior Executive
6. Liyana Mohd Khafiz Clients & Markets Manager
7. Lydiawati Amir Financial Advisory Assistant Manager
8. Sim Min Li Clients & Markets Senior Executive
9. Tan Jing Er Audit & Assurance Manager
10. Vera Lim Financial Advisory Manager
11. Jacy Yee Deloitte Alumni (Clients & Markets)
12. Mira Shahidah Deloitte Alumni (Risk Advisory)
Deloitte men’s team
1. Cedrick Poh Audit & Assurance Senior
2. Gary Loo Audit & Assurance Senior
3. James Walton Clients & Markets Partner
4. Jasper Chan Sports Business Group Admin Assistant
5. Lasse Lund Consulting Partner
6. Mark Koh Tax & Legal Assistant Manager
7. Raihan Mohammad Tax & Legal C&M Manager
8. Randy Pay Financial Advisory Associate
9. Syafiq Zainal Clients & Markets Executive
10. Victor Poon Tax & Legal Manager
11. Dmitry Pismenny Deloitte Alumni (Clients & Markets)
12. Nick Chong Deloitte Alumni (Risk Advisory)
Decision Magazine Issue 13
In issue 13, Czech out our Deloitte Singapore football teams – they competed in the 16th inter-Deloitte football tournament in Prague! Hear from Deloitte Clients & Markets Manager Steffi Goh about her once-in-a lifetime experience pursuing her MBA at the University of Oxford! Also, our interns give advice on how you can excel in your internship, and our newly promoted partners share pearls of wisdom on how you can rise to the top. Are you interested in working overseas and travelling around the world? Discover the international experiences and fond memories gathered by our Global Mobility Programme participants who are currently seconded to Paris, San Jose, Sydney and Melbourne. Lastly, explore some of our useful tips on how to dress to make an impact and succeed in your job interviews!
What are you waiting for? Download issue 13 now!