Consumer Business Economic Update
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The 17th edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- The Canadian economy witnessed a slower growth of 2.4% in Q4 2016 as compared to the previous quarter.
- Same store sales year-over-year growth decreased by 60 bps in Q4 2016 from Q4 2015.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- There was a rise in inbound visitors to Canada in Q4 2016 from Q4 2015.
Consumer packaged goods
- Overall, CPG sales experienced higher year-over-year growth in Q4 2016 compared to the growth experienced in Q3 2016.
- Kijiji, a free Canadian local classifieds site continued to retain its position as the top online search in the Shopping category by Canadians in Q4 2016. The second and third positions on the list are “Walmart”, the American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of discount department stores and “Canadian tire”, Canadian retail company offering a range of automotive, sports and leisure and home products.
Read the full report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.
National Consumer & Industrial Products Industry Leader
Financial Advisory, Consumer Business Practice Leader
National THL Sector Leader
National Consumer Products and Food Sector Leader
National Retail Sector Leader
Financial Advisory, Food and Beverage Sector Leader