Consumer Business Economic Update
Volume 7: September 2014
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The seventh edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- Growth of the Canadian economy improved in Q2 2014, with real GDP growth of 3.2%.
- Same store sales growth rates were slightly higher in Q2 2014 compared to Q2 2013.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- The THL sector saw strong growth across the hotel, travel and food service industries.
Consumer packaged goods
- The CPG sector experienced growth in Food and Beverages, and Health and Personal Care Products, while Household Supplies declined.
- Classified ads website Kijiji and Canadian retailer Canadian Tire were the top shopping searches with the keywords "kijiji" and “canadian tire" holding the top two spots. Netflix, which held the second spot in Q1 2014, now ranks third.
Read the full Consumer Business economic report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.