Consumer Business Economic Update
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The sixteenth edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- The Canadian economy expanded by 3.6% in Q3 2016, primarily boosted by exports of energy while domestic demand slowed.
- Same store sales year-over-year growth decreased by 65 bps in Q3 2016 from Q3 2015.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- Inbound visitors to Canada witnessed a rise in Q3 2016 from Q3 2015.
Consumer packaged goods
- Overall, CPG sales experienced lower year-over-year growth in Q3 2016 compared to the growth experienced in Q2 2016.
- Kijiji, a free Canadian local classifieds site has continued to retain its position as the top online search in the Shopping category by Canadians in Q3 2016. The second and third positions on the list were “Walmart”, the American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of discount department stores and “Netflix”, the American global provider of streaming films and television series.
Read the full report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.
National Consumer & Industrial Products Leader
Financial Advisory, Consumer Business Practice Leader
National THL Sector Leader
National Consumer Products and Food Sector Leader
National Retail Leader
Financial Advisory, Food and Beverage Leader