Canada’s Best Managed Companies
Code of Conduct
The Canada’s Best Managed Companies program aims to inspire, celebrate and build a community of private businesses that are creating a better future. A leading business awards program, recognizing excellence in private Canadian-owned companies, it celebrates the entrepreneurial spirit, determination and innovation of the private business community.
Companies undergo a rigorous application process and are judged on core business criteria across four pillars - Strategy, Capabilities and Innovation, Culture and Commitment, Governance and Financials - by an external panel of judges.
This prestigious designation becomes a fundamental part of who the Best Managed companies are and how they are perceived in their respective markets. As a member of the community, each company has an obligation to live and uphold the behaviours outlined in this Code.
The following four commitments illustrate the program’s core expectations of winning companies:
As a Best Managed company, we will act lawfully, honestly, ethically and with integrity towards our customers, employees, vendors and stakeholders.
Best Managed companies are truthful and honest about the business information provided to the Best Managed program:
- Best Managed companies must abide by federal and provincial laws
- Best Managed candidates will not exert undue influence upon program coaches, sponsors, or judges
- Best Managed companies must update any change in business affecting their designation (ownership, financial, legal) when re-qualifying year over year
Treat interactions with program sponsors, partners and their staff with the same honesty and integrity that you would apply within your own organization.
2. Foster diversity, equity and inclusion
All Best Managed companies have a role to play in helping Canada on the path to a more inclusive environment. As a member of this community, we foster a culture and working environment where people treat each other with respect, courtesy and fairness, promoting equal opportunity for all.
- Actively build an anti-racist capability to start making intentional changes within your organization
- Embed gender and diversity-smart approaches into recruitment & development, including performance management, promotion, succession and pay processes
- Create and support cultural awareness programs and learnings for all employees
- Implement employee assistance programs related to diversity, equity inclusion and accessibility so employees can feel comfortable and bring their whole selves to work
- Provide DE&I training for all members of the organization
- Provide flexible and accessible work arrangements and remote work opportunities where applicable
3. Commitment to upholding the standard of the Best Managed program designation through the four pillars
As a Best Managed company, we commit to upholding quality among the four pillars (Strategy, Capabilities and Innovation, Culture and Commitment, Governance and Financials), and the program brand standards and identity.
Upholding brand standards
- The Best Managed designation represents 29 years of strong Canadian private companies that are the economic engine of this country. The brand is a result of the outstanding companies in the program and is recognized coast to coast. As a Best Managed company, we agree to uphold this brand legacy and follow brand and logo guidelines.
- Uphold program brand standards consistent with the four pillars (Strategy, Capabilities & Innovation, Culture & Commitment, Governance & Financials)
- Proper use of current logo by awarded entity (see ‘Logo use with affiliated companies’).
- Proper use of designation naming convention – “Canada’s Best Managed Companies”
- Logo use permitted for duration of program year. Must be removed immediately should the company chose not to re-apply, or become ineligible
Commitment to upholding the standard of the Best Managed program designation through the four pillars
- Continuously evolve and improve upon your strategy
- Drive a culture of innovation and productivity
- Foster a purpose-led culture
- Put your customers and employees first
- Drive year over year revenue growth through strong strategy, governance and operational efficiency
4. Best Managed community role model
We commit to participate in the Best Managed community through program activities & events, while treating all members with dignity and respect. We also commit to be a respectable citizen within society and doing our part to build a positive future for Canada’s economy.
- Participate in Best Managed programming and events
- Act as a mentor to new members of the Best Managed community
- Engage in social media conversation with Best Managed community (#BestManaged)
- Act as a Best Managed brand ambassador, abiding by the terms under ‘Upholding brand standards’
- Contribute to Best Managed objective of ‘making all businesses better’ by participating in research (i.e., surveys, case studies), panels and speaking opportunities