Travel Consumer 2015
Engaging the empowered holidaymaker
The digital revolution has democratised the way consumers shop for travel. To better understand this change, we worked with the British Travel Awards (BTA) to survey over 40,000 respondents about their travel activities.
We found that travel has changed from being a seller’s to a buyer’s market. To adapt to this change, travel businesses need to undergo their own transformation from a product-centric to a consumer-centric model and put the consumer perspective at the heart of every business decision.
- 59% of holidaymakers compare prices online, as consumers maintain their recessionary behaviour;
- Holidaymakers are sharing experiences and influencing each other, as 42% use review websites;
- 59% say these sites have the most influence on their booking decision;
- 31% of holidaymakers have posted a travel-related review on a review website;
- 33% of consumers used two or more devices when researching their most recent holiday.