Why a Career in Consulting?
At Deloitte, success means using logical thinking, leading global methodologies and our knowledge of industries to help Ireland’s largest organisations solve their most complex problems. Strategy, innovation, and a thorough knowledge of what makes an organisation run effectively are increasingly valuable skills in an ever-changing business environment.
- What is Consulting?
- Department breakdown
- Learning and development
- Paths to qualification
- Qualifications, Skills & Experience
What is Consulting?
First, we gain a deep understanding of our client’s business – including their challenges and opportunities. Then, we serve our clients by addressing their particular need – whether by improving on existing services, transforming an organisation’s leadership function, streamlining the way businesses function, or helping to implement a new product, service, or technology solution. Our projects range in length from a few weeks to months or years, and are often time-critical.
We spend a lot of time with our clients, meaning that we form lasting relationships and become increasingly familiar with the industries they operate within. This is what makes Consulting so engaging – every project is different from the last, and you are able to immerse yourself in a new world on each engagement, becoming an ‘expert’ in each client’s business. This is a rich, exhilarating and challenging way to begin your career.
Joining Deloitte’s consulting department will provide you with the opportunity to become a member of one of Ireland’s largest multi-functional consultancy practices. As part of a global firm, we are always pushing ourselves to innovate and improve the services we provide to our clients, drawing on and contributing to cutting edge thought leadership around the world.
Deloitte are the only major global consultancy practice to combine professional business and accounting skills with the ability to deliver major business change and information technology programmes.
Our clients include both domestic and multinational firms of varying size and encompass all major industry sectors including financial services, consumer business, energy and resources, technology, media and telecommunications as well as the public sector.
What impact will you make?
Strategy and Operations incorporates strategy development, business process improvement, supply chain management, customer management strategy, performance management and programme leadership.
Our Strategy and Operations Finance Transformation service offering incorporates integrated performance management (aligns strategic planning, budgeting, reporting and performance measurement), outsourcing advisory services, shared services and finance transformation (supporting the planning and organising of the finance function).
- For graduates joining our finance transformation team, in addition to the training programmes provided, you will be required to complete the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants qualification (CIMA).
Human Capital Management
People are often said to be a company’s greatest asset. Human Capital Management help our clients get the most from their people, advising on everything from talent to organisational priorities. We offer a focused combination of breadth and expertise across three service lines HR transformation, Organisation Transformation & Talent and Analytics, covering areas such as Strategic Change & Change Management, Leadership assessment & development, HR operations and technology services, and Organisational & Operating Model Design.
Technology Consulting is as much about project management, strategy, and problem solving as it is about the design, build, and delivery of technical solutions. We have experts across both areas and encourage our graduates to gain hands on experience across the board. You will have access to an extensive programme of training including consultant development skills and specific technical training. You'll be encouraged and expected to think for yourself, use your initiative and work collaboratively to deliver pioneering solutions for our clients.
Within Technology we offer a variety of career options where you'll learn how to create innovative business, technology and operational solutions and develop the expertise to implement them.
Learning and development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
All graduates joining consulting undertake the Deloitte Analyst Induction Programme, an extensive programme spanning two weeks, covering the fundamentals of consulting.
As you progress, further structured training will follow focusing on building the consulting skills required to be effective at each grade. Furthermore, Deloitte’s global online training course catalogue is accessible on a continuous basis, allowing you the opportunity to complete and be certified across a range of courses.
Read more about our learning approach.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
We offer competitive reward packages and a variety of benefits. The firm also offers a number of wellbeing programmes to reflect the balance of priorities in our people’s lives.
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional “Deloitte Day” (22 days total)
- Option to avail of up to 5 extra holiday days annually
- Compressed working week. 2pm finish on Friday’s during June, July and August
- Bonus scheme
- Discounted health insurance
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- Paid professional subscription
- Graduation leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Further education support options
- Employee assistance programme
- Tax saver travel pass
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual Corporate Responsibility Impact Day
- Deloitte Unplugged programme
- Corporate deals and discounts