R&D claims preparation has been saved
R&D claims preparation
- Is my business eligible for R&D incentives in Malta?
- Is your business an SME?
- How can we help?
- Get in touch
Research and development (R&D) incentive schemes have been introduced to encourage scientific and technological innovation within Malta. A range of incentives are available to provide tax credits or cash grants, to business of all sizes that are involved in innovation.
Is my business eligible for R&D incentives in Malta?
R&D can take place in any sector. It is not only restricted to activities carried on in a laboratory, but it might consist of work that a company is carrying on in its day to day activities, such as developing a new product, process or service or changing/modifying an existing product, process or service. Generally, qualifying R&D activities must seek to achieve scientific or technological advancement and involve the resolution of scientific or technological uncertainty. Identifying and quantifying eligible activities for the purpose of R&D incentives may be quite complex but with potential savings of 25%- 70% (depending on size of the enterprise) of eligible costs, it is worth assessing whether your business carries on any eligible R&D activities.
Collaborative R&D projects which meet the qualifying criteria are also supported by increased assistance in the form of tax credits and/or cash grants of 40%-80% of eligible costs (depending on the size of the undertaking).
Get in touch
Contact us for more informationEmail us
Is your business an SME?
The EU Definition of a Small or Medium Sized Enterprise (SME*) consists of the following:
- Less than 250 employees; and either
- Revenues no greater than €50m; or
- Total assets no greater than €43m
How can we help?
- Identifying eligible R&D activities and preparing robust supporting documentation is often unfamiliar territory for businesses who may not have the resources needed to complete the paperwork required to file a claim. Deloitte can assist with the whole process from scoping through document preparation and submission. Deloitte combines deep technical expertise so that the multiple aspects of an incentive claim are understood and considered. We utilise technology-based solutions worldwide to create a smooth process with increased transparency and to facilitate compliance with regulatory changes.
- To deliver R&D and government incentives services, Deloitte has an Incentives Insight methodology. This is powered by I Smart technology, streamlining and accelerating the gathering and processing of data and information needed to make informed business decisions regarding credits and incentives claims.