Packaging M&A Update: Q1 2016
Strategic consolidation and sustained low resin prices are driving a number of transactions in the packaging industry. Packaging M&A update provides Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC insights and market data analysis that shed light on M&A trends in the packaging industry.
M&A activity in Q1 2016 was primarily driven by strategic consolidation
Packaging M&A activity in Q1 2016 was dominated by strategic buyers looking to increase capacity, expand into adjacent markets, and diversify product offerings.
- Transilwrap (Jordan Co.) agreed to acquire the specialty films business of Dow Chemical Co. in order to strengthen its global footprint and expand into the health care market. Since its acquisition by Jordan Co. in 2013, Transilwrap has successfully executed multiple acquisitions to broaden its offerings and capabilities and expand market coverage.
- Bunzl plc acquired Earthwise Bag Company, a provider of reusable bags in an effort to add environmentally friendly products to its current product offerings for the grocery and retail sectors.
- Graphic Packaging is expanding its folding carton converting business through the acquisitions of Walter G. Anderson, Inc. and the converting assets of Metro Packaging & Imaging, Inc.
Sustained low resin prices continue to favorably impact the packaging industry
Low resin prices have driven down the costs of production for packaging processors and reduced prices for customers. The favorable economic environment has also led to some packaging processors expanding capacity for existing and new product lines, both organically as well as through acquisitions.
In addition to lower raw material costs, the following trends have significantly impacted the packaging industry in 2015-2016:
- Significant growth in sustainable packaging as consumer preferences shift towards environmentally friendly products.
- Higher disposable income has resulted in a spike in demand for consumer packaged products.
- The flexible packaging segment continues to outpace the paper and foil segments due to performance benefits such as barrier protection, increased shelf-life, light weight, easy-open features, high impact display, and convenient storage.
This newsletter is a periodic compilation of certain capital markets information. Information contained in this newsletter should not be construed as a recommendation to sell or a recommendation to buy any security. Any reference to or omission of any reference to any company in this newsletter shall not be construed as a recommendation to sell, buy or take any other action with respect to any security of any such company. We are not soliciting any action with respect to any security or company based on this newsletter. This newsletter is published solely for the general information of clients and friends of Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC. It does not take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situation, or needs of individual recipients. Certain transactions, including those involving early stage companies, give rise to substantial risk and are not suitable for all investors. This newsletter is based on information that we consider reliable, but we do not represent that it is accurate or complete, and it should not be relied upon as such. Prediction of future events is inherently subject to both known risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results to vary materially. We are under no obligation to update the information contained in this newsletter. We and our affiliates and related entities, partners, principals, directors, and employees, including persons involved in the preparation or issuance of this newsletter, may from time to time have “long” and “short” positions in, and buy or sell, the securities, or derivatives (including options) thereof, of companies mentioned herein. The companies mentioned in this newsletter may be: (i) investment banking clients of Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC; or (ii) clients of Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP and its related entities. The decision to include any company for mention or discussion in this newsletter is wholly unrelated to any audit or other services that Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC may provide or to any audit services or any services that any of its affiliates or related entities may provide to such company. No part of this newsletter may be copied or duplicated in any form by any means, or redistributed without the prior written consent of Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC.
Sources: Capital IQ, RISI, Freedonia, Inc., Euromonitor, Packaging Digest, and Analyst Reports