External environment dominates CFOs’ concerns
Deloitte CFO Survey - Summer 2016 Results
Despite the unfavourable external environment, the mood among Swiss CFOs is more positive than in our March 2016 Survey. Expectations for revenues are also positive, although there is sustained pressure on operating margins.
Brexit anxiety both in Switzerland and the UK
- In the run-up to the UK referendum on EU membership, fears grew about the impact a Brexit decision would have on Swiss companies. From Q1 2016 to Q2 2016 (but before the referendum), the percentage of CFOs who believe that Brexit would have a negative impact on their company more than doubled from 17% to 42%.
- The CFO Survey in the UK was conducted shortly after the referendum. Company sentiment worsened sharply with CFOs viewing the financial prospects for their companies more negatively than at any point since the UK survey started in 2007.
Focus on geopolitical risk, but Iranian market opens up opportunities
- The external environment holds many challenges for Swiss companies, and geopolitical risks remain the major source of CFOs’ concern about risk to their own company.
- However, CFOs also see opportunities, including Iran’s reintegration into the global economy.
Swiss economic outlook more positive
- Despite the unfavourable external environment, the mood among Swiss CFOs is more positive than in our March 2016 Survey, around a third are optimistic about the country’s economic outlook over the next 12 months, while 18% are pessimistic.
About the CFO Survey
The survey comprises 20 questions which recur each quarter and around 10 questions unique to the financial conditions of the previous quarter. This allows us to provide you with both specific feedback on the market conditions relevant to the previous quarter, as well as ongoing trend analysis regarding how financial conditions are evolving and how your peers are reacting to them.
The CFO Survey brings the views of CFOs to a wide audience in the media and among policy makers and is a valuable benchmark for Swiss business leaders.
Explore the data
Download the PDF to access all the historical data series from the Deloitte CFO Survey since Q3 2009. Please feel free to use any of the data series in your documents or presentations.