Investigations and Remediation
Deloitte helps you to act quickly and confidently in the face of economic crime, regulatory concerns and actions, or sensitive internal investigations into fraud, corruption and other misconduct.
We are an expert led and technology driven team who combine forensic accounting and investigative skills with leading edge technology and advanced data analytics techniques to offer innovative solutions to legal, regulatory and economic crime problems. Our global network allows us to combine an understanding of local business cultures and regulatory issues with deep subject matter expertise to find a path to a successful resolution, and our clients better-prepared to protect their assets and reputation.
We support you by performing investigations when issues are identified and subsequently remediating where necessary. This remediation stage may include addressing the feedback loop which allows lessons learned to be communicated to Compliance and other key stakeholders, so that controls can be improved to avoid repetition of similar issues.
- Anti-bribery & corruption (ABC) issues (e.g. FCPA breaches).
- Allegations of fraud or market abuse.
- Economic/trade sanction breaches.
- Internal investigation of whistle blower allegations.
- Suspected tax evasion (cross- border compliance).
- Accounting issues e.g. financial statement manipulation, accounting black holes.
- Other regulatory requests for in-depth analysis or review.
- Large and complex multi- jurisdictional issues with demands from multiple regulators.
- Individual screening/ background checks.
- Experienced, agile and multidisciplinary team with depth and breadth of
experience across multiple industries. Deployment of proven global forensic delivery framework to ensure rigour, quality and consistency.
- Use of regulatory approved approaches, methodologies and templates.
- Insight driven technology and innovative solutions to drive through multiple and complex data sets in order to draw out key findings in an expedient manner
- Transformational project leadership and management, driving efficiency and effectiveness by optimising processes.
- Leveraging our breadth and depth of experience in managing key stakeholders, be they internal (e.g. board or steering committees or external (e.g. regulators and counsel).
- Crisis support & response.
- Economic crime investigations and remediation – including lookbacks (such as Sanctions, ABC and Anti-Trust).
- Regulatory enforcement reviews and remediation.
- Fraud, Accounting, Corruption and Misconduct Investigations.
Our approach to Investigations & Remediation
- Our global forensic investigation framework provides a proven end to end delivery platform to support you in successfully responding to a wide range of economic crime matters, regulatory requests or required disclosures.
- Our resources are globally trained to a tested methodology to conduct investigations and provide related advisory support.
- Our framework comes equipped with leading edge investigation tools, techniques and reporting templates which are selected and tailored to your specific needs.
- Our aim is to establish the “who, what, where, when, why and how” of any allegations, and to draw out the facts of the case in the most effective and expedient manner using tools and methodologies sufficient to withstand detailed scrutiny of regulators and legal courts.
How we've helped our clients
Deloitte was engaged by a bank that had been investigated for a regulatory breach by the New York Department of Financial Services, and had entered a guilty plea. The bank tasked Deloitte with providing support in responding to numerous requests from the Monitor for both structured and unstructured data, to assess whether there were any remaining exposures relating to the bank’s US clients.
A team of over 200 people from Deloitte (in Switzerland, the US, the Bahamas and Singapore) supported the bank over a multiple-year period. During this time, it built a forensic technology laboratory, bespoke to the bank’s needs. In total over 40 terabytes of structured and unstructured data were collected, mapped and analysed. Presentations to the Monitor were in an organized form, enabling the Monitor to run queries on the entire data set. It also enabled the team to run a name matching exercise to find people with US connections. Deloitte also provided the bank with eDiscovery services for carrying out client reviews.
As a result of this lengthy program, the bank introduced tools and technology that enabled it to analyse and understand complex data sets. In addition, Deloitte was able to demonstrate to the Monitor the robustness of its investigations over the period 2011-15, and the Monitor complimented Deloitte for its diligence and expertise in handling and reviewing complex client account data.
Do you have a similar issue that we can help with? Contact one of our experts below.