Sustainable Supply Chain Transformation
Supply chains were traditionally set up for cost and time efficiency, but now increasing environmental and social responsibilities demand a redesign as stakeholder expectations and legislation are changing.
While consumers demand climate friendly-solutions, companies take on greater social responsibilities and legislation continuously promote sustainable transformations. These changes are forcing supply chain management to adapt to a new normal. Businesses and organisations are challenged to consider new operating blueprints for their supply chains as their responsibilities now extend further upstream beyond their own operations. Furthermore, waste is no longer only considered a cost driver, it is also a reputation risk.
”For supply chains to continue creating competitive business advantages they must support the transformation towards a sustainable future.”
Key enablers to build a sustainable supply chain
While there are many considerations to take - of which some are industry-driven - there are three key enablers that all companies should consider when embarking on a journey towards a more sustainable supply chain:
- Traceability and insight are large barriers as well as opportunities. As a company’s responsibilities extend further than their direct suppliers, tighter control is required for managing the wider ecosystem. To ensure compliance with social responsibilities, emissions control and climate footprint - as well as enabling economically and environmentally sustainable improvements - businesses need technology that can improve traceability and insights.
- Operational excellence has always been the backbone of supply chain management and will remain so. Cost-efficient supply chain solutions do not exclude sustainable supply chain solutions. It rather enables it. Therefore, a proper physical footprint design, better asset utilization, and strict quality management are all key drivers towards more sustainable supply chains.
- Industry collaboration is considered one of the key enablers of sustainable supply chain design. Business must expand their perception of the ecosystem they operate in and embrace wider collaboration on data, information and asset sharing. Collaboration rarely compromises competitive advantages, but rather create mutual benefits through better insights, less waste and more accuracy.
How we can help
In Deloitte, we have turned sustainability challenges into measurable competitive advantages for our clients for 20 years. Let us assist you in the redesign of your entire supply chain ecosystem by leveraging data, technology, partnership models, operational excellence and best practice governance. We can help you:
- Leverage strategic and tech alliances
- Define strategic transformation principles and requirements
- Design and optimize the physical footprint of your supply chain
- Develop sustainable supply chain operating models
- Implement 3rd party management and audit solutions
- Leverage circular economy and waste management opportunities
Want to know more? Find contact information below.
Get in touch
Reach out if you have any questions or want to know more about our services within Sustainable Supply Chain Transformation.