Life sciences & health care M&A update: Q2 2018
As the importance of obtaining, analyzing, and using data, referred to as real-world data and real-world evidence, in the Life Science and Health Care industry increases, the need to manage this data in-house has grown as well. This Life Sciences & Health Care mergers and acquisitions (M&A) update provides Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC insights and market data analysis that shed light on M&A trends in the Life Sciences and Health Care industry.
Integration trends driving M&A by payors
With real world date (RWD) and real world evidence (RWE) becoming integral in the health care field, M&A for pharmaceuticals saw a rise, as there is a pushed need for digital and electronic health care information management.1
Deloitte RWE benchmarking survey findings2
- Increasing importance of RWE integration: Many pharmaceutical companies are now leveraging RWD holistically throughout their organizations to generate evidence and support patient research.
- Growing data landscape: More so than ever, respondents are using non-traditional data sources, such as purpose-built linked data, connected wearable technology, and health apps to drive decision making.
- Shifting RWE activities in house: Seventy percent of respondents reported internally building out data analytics programs to gather and analyze RWE, driving an increase in RWE spending on talent and technology.
RWE in end-to-end evidence management3
- Optimizing value: Applying RWE to develop, support, and sustain a compelling value story for approved therapeutic interventions and to inform new opportunities for therapeutic discovery.
- Generating value: Leveraging RWE to maximize the potential for clinical and commercial success, optimize therapeutic response, and assess category dynamics to support pricing strategies.
- Discovering value: Using RWE to enhance preclinical and clinical research productivity through precise target and patient cohort identification.
This newsletter is a periodic compilation of certain capital markets information.