Life at Deloitte
First year opportunities
Spring into Deloitte
We understand that knowing what you want from a career is a difficult choice to make, and that’s why we have created unique event - ‘Spring into Deloitte’ exclusively for first year University students on a three year degree course or second year undergraduate students on a four year course.
Opportunties are now closed for Spring into Deloitte
Spring into Deloitte is a two day course designed to give you a real feel for what it is like to work at Deloitte. The days themselves will be jam packed with business games, skill sessions and networking with a range of staff from first year Graduates to Partners. One nights’ accommodation will be provided at the event where you will dine with more of our people to help you decide what kind of career you will be suited to.
This year each course has been specifically designed to help you learn about a particular business specialism; to be successful in your application we would expect you to demonstrate a genuine interest in that business area. If after the event you like the sound of Deloitte and what we have to offer, you will have the opportunity to fast track onto our 2017 Summer Vacation Scheme with an interview to take place shortly after the course. Important note: this fast track opportunity is only available for the business areas that have been showcased at the event.
- At least a B in GCSE Maths and at least a B in GCSE English Language (or equivalent if not taken in the UK)
- 320 UCAS points
- On track for a 2:1 in your first year of a three year course or second year of a four year course (students on a four year course with a placement year can apply in their first year)
- Must be studying at a UK university
If after the course you like the sound of Deloitte and what we have to offer, it doesn’t have to end there! We want to give you the opportunity to fast track onto our Summer Vacation Scheme with a competency based interview to take place shortly after the course.
All candidates must complete and submit an online application form on our recruitment system. Our application form includes a number of sections, including education, career motivation and work experience.
Once submitted, your application will be screened within three working days and if successful you will be invited to the next stage, our online numerical test.
Firefly Freedom game
Once you have completed our application form, you will be invited to play the Firefly Freedom game. This game is played using Apple iOS and Android operating systems so you’ll need to have access to a device with either of those.
You need to collect as many tokens as you can. The most important objective is to be focused on all the tasks in the game. It usually takes about 20-25 minutes to complete, but it’s more about how well you focus than how quickly you finish.
We don’t measure the number of tokens you collect. Instead, the game is designed to test how you approach each level and decide to address each task. Be yourself and let the game capture how you apply yourself.
Online numerical test
As part of our recruitment process you will be asked to complete a numerical reasoning test and critical thinking test. The information below is provided to help you prepare.
Research has shown that soundly developed tests of this type provide evidence of ability in particular skill areas. This test provides our interviewers with objective, reliable and relevant information that helps them to make a well-informed decision on how you would handle a demanding graduate position here at Deloitte.
You’ll be given plenty of opportunity to practise for this 30-minute test. Whether it’s presented in words or tables, it’ll check your ability to quickly analyse numerical or financial data and come to conclusions.
Online critical thinking test
If successful at the online numerical test, you will be invited to complete our critical thinking test. The Critical Thinking Test is designed to measure the following:
- Important abilities and skills involved in critical thinking
- Critical thinking is the ability to look at a situation and clearly understand it from multiple perspectives whilst separating facts from opinions and assumptions.
- The assessment measures skills related to problem solving and decision making in a variety question types. The questions are of varying difficulty and format in order to measure all areas of critical thinking ability.
It measures these three areas through five sub-tests:
- Inference – Rating the probability of truth of inferences based on given information
- Recognition of Assumptions – Identifying unstated assumptions underlying given statements
- Deduction – Determining whether conclusions follow logically from given information
- Interpretation – Weighing evidence and deciding if generalisations or conclusions based on data are warranted
- Evaluation of Arguments – Evaluating the strength and relevance of arguments with respect to a particular question or issue
There are 40 items in the assessment and you will have a time limit of 30 minutes. There are example questions before each sub-test, please note these are within the timed part of the assessment.
Please note that while these tests measures important abilities relevant to being successful in Deloitte, it only forms part of our overall selection process. Our re testing policy means that you maybe asked to re sit your tests when you attend your first interview with us. If you are distracted during the test and feel you have not been able to complete the test to the best of your ability please contact us immediately so that we are able to take this into account when reviewing your score. If we are not informed immediately and are only told after you have been unsuccessful we will not able to take this into account or allow a re-sit.